View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 19:20
IzzyS
Forum Member

All he is doing here is trying to challenge some of society's attitudes to paedophilia in a calm and rational manner. There's certainly nothing calm and rational about the usual "depraved beasts who ought to be strung up", nor the "every man is a potential paedophile" arguments.....that's just outright hysteria and paranoia.
Strictly speaking, every man IS a potential paedophile. Same with women. Any man or woman could potentially be one, same as any man or woman could be any number of things...it doesn't mean they are but such people probably take many forms.

I agree hysteria doesn't help though - the subject needs to be looked upon, discussed and reported in a calm and proper manner. Also more discussion about the family element might be good because they say that often abuse comes from within the family, yet sometimes it can seem like the press focus on the few times when people are abused or killed by people unknown by the family. People may be fearful of their kids being around perhaps slightly peculiar seeming strangers when in reality it might be someone closer to home that they may need to be more wary of. Presumably thats why its quite a taboo subject though, to think of someone you may be close to or friendly with having such predilections could be quite uncomfortable for some?.

Yes, this is all fair enough and I agree.

At the same time, I do also think a civilised discussion about paedophilia is going to help all involved, including victims. Obviously people are going to disagree, and some will have more extreme views than others, but the media way of reporting with words such as monster and predator really does not show the reality or help matters.
Out of interest, would you disagree that someone such as JS was a predator? it seems a fair label to give him, if the majority of the claims are accurate.

The definition of a predator or more specifically a sexual predator as given by Wikipedia is as follows:-

The term sexual predator is used pejoratively to describe a person seen as obtaining or trying to obtain sexual contact with another person in a metaphorically "predatory" manner. Analogous to how a predator hunts down its prey, so the sexual predator is thought to "hunt" for his or her sex partners. People who commit sex crimes, such as rape or child sexual abuse, are commonly referred to as sexual predators, particularly in tabloid media or as a power phrase by politicians.[1]
it may be perjorative but it does seem fairly apt in some instances, what would an alternative label be, a serial offender perhaps?

whereas to me, labels such as 'monster' are clearly over the top and unhelpful, it paints the criminal as some sort of mythical boogeyman, as if its not real somehow and the person is somehow not human? there has to be some understanding of what makes a person that way if we're to be able to better recognise them, prevent them from offending possibly and treat them (ie via some form of rehab or treatment facility) more effectively.

-----

Also, somewhat unrelated to the above - I saw there was a report about JS's cottage in Glencoe, on the Scottish news show Reporting Scotland this evening. I only caught the end as I'd just got home from work but I think they were saying they were going to knock it down and there had been some protests from a few locals, one of which was interviewed briefly saying it'd be a shame if they can't rebuild another building in its place because there's literally nothing for miles around the area, it'd turn the area into a wilderness of sorts and they didn't want that. They mentioned again that JSs charities had talked of converting the cottage into a holiday retreat for families of disabled children but that isn't going to happen now.