View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 08:47
jamtamara
Forum Member

I think its very important to try and deal with these people, ok the worst of offenders who kill in addition to their abuse etc can be locked up for life and you know they will not be free and cannot do further harm , but most will not be and will be released at some point so anything that can be done to try and stop them reoffending is good to my mind

I do think that with the Savile scandal paedophilia can be kept in discussion without it being a nogo discussion area , and thats the only way we as a society can try and deal with it. Canada has a group called Circles of Support who befriend paedophiles on release form prison so the person is not alone and has people to talk to so lessens the risk of them having opportunity to reoffend and I know Scotland was talking of something similar back in 2004

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4031625.stm

Paedophilia is not just going to go away as much as we would all love it to, so as a society we have to deal with it head on and for the sake of so many victims in the past and to try and save people from being victims in the future not brush it back under the carpet.
I have mentioned the Quaker connection in Britain:

How a typical Circle works

Volunteers are recruited from the local community, including faith and community groups. They need to be responsible people with their feet on the ground. They are screened, trained and supported by the scheme. Typically, four or five volunteers form a Circle.

An offender is identified, preferably while still in prison but more usually on release into the community - a medium or high risk sex offender, with high levels of need and little or no support from family or friends. He becomes the ‘core member’ of the Circle.

When the Circle first meets, they make a commitment to openness within the Circle, confidentiality beyond it and consensus decision making. The core member promises to follow his release plan and that ‘there will be no more victims at my hands’. There is close contact between the Circle and police and probation. Circles do not replace their roles, but are a structured way for the community to take its share of responsibility.

The Circle meets weekly and a member will contact the core member most days. The contacts can be informal - going shopping, or just a phone call. Over time, the meetings become less frequent. Milestones such as birthdays are celebrated. If the Circle is concerned about the core member’s behaviour, they will challenge him and meet more intensively for a while. Circles know when to alert police or probation to a problem.

What you can do

The idea has been taken up across England and Wales by a variety of agencies, with fully operational projects from the north of England down to the south west. Circles are now also being developed in Scotland. If you might be interested in volunteering as a Circle volunteer contact Circles UK to be put in touch with a local project in your area. Training and ongoing support are provided.

Some people are also setting up informal circles, inspired by the Canadian model, for individuals they know. We ask that they call them something different, to avoid confusion with the fully worked-through Circles of Support and Accountability, but we are glad that the ideas are proving useful.

Contact Circles UK to be put in touch with a local project in your area.

http://www.quaker.org.uk/circles-more-information

And a non-Quaker link:

http://www.ccjf.org/whatcanido/csa.html