View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 15:10
IzzyS
Forum Member

I've had a hard think about how I might feel now if I had ever met Jimmy Savile, and its hard to admit it but I honestly think I might consider saying he 'abused' me. It wouldn't be hard to ring up these NAPAC people and tell them 'my tale'. It would be completely anonymous so none of my friends or family would need to know. Then these solicitors would get me signed up to a conditional fee agreement and pop me along to their tame psychologist who would state I'd been injured. I could then just wait to see what happened and if some money eventually arrived. I could ease my guilt by telling myself that my claim wouldn't make much difference given all the others that were going on. And its not like I'd be hurting JS himself.
I'd be able to tell the story ok because I could draw upon my memory of when I did actually get raped once, a long time ago, by a completely unknown, non-rich person.
I imagine that may have gone through the minds of many women lately, although I'd hope that peoples morals would stop them from doing that - I'd feel awful to know I'd made up something like that, on principle. I'm not a practicing Christian or anything like that but I do feel a God of some sorts exists whom judges me on doing something like that.

I think at the end of the day, if even one claim of rape (or sexual assault) is genuine, thats one too many. What I'm not sure about is if their able to screen claimants to try and check legitimacy, or is that really not possible because of how old the claims are?. There's something very sad if people in their tens or hundreds make a decision to fabricate a story like that, I'd hope it isn't the case but I see your point that it could/would be easy to do so. Perhaps I've been too leniant on believing the 'victims' but in a case like this, isn't it worse to doubt incase they are genuine? if there are clear aspects to someones story or accusation that just don't add up then thats different and certainly worth highlighting but im just a bit cautious to believe a majority of claimants have another motive for speaking up now, other than wanting to be heard, believed and move on after so long...