View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 17:36
IzzyS
Forum Member

Its not wrong to question them. They have to expect it if they wish to claim compensation.
People do not all have the same moral standards.
Claiming compensation, sometimes totally fraudulently, is commonplace. Look at the whiplash industry.
If the allegations are genuine then I'm afraid that the earliest 'victims' should hang their heads in shame for not reporting sooner and preventing harm to others.
Maybe they should expect it but its still a shame, to be subjected to doubt and scrutiny. I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of a victim. If I knew myself what had happened but nobody else believed me because I couldn't physically prove it (and certainly in some cases, it must be extremely difficult to provide physical proof of such crimes taking part), that would be extremely frustrating, particularly if I ended up with a perceived bad reputation because of it, with people labelling you a fantasist or something similar.

I don't think its fair to compare car insurance claims of whiplash to child sex abuse/assault claims - yes claiming anything fraudulently is wrong and a crime but one is more severe than the other and I'd hope that people would feel more hesitant to falsely claim abuse took part compared to whiplash but from what I've heard regarding whiplash, doctors can't be sure either way most of the time, whether someone has it or not, its notoriously difficult to get a precise diagnosis as it doesn't show up on alot of tests etc.? so it could be that many claims are genuine, its just very hard for them to tell, from what I've heard.

Most of the victims were young at the time the abuse happened - to blame young teenagers for finding it hard to talk out about something which I think was rather more taboo back then than it is now, is a bit much. Plus, for the particularly young victims, say pre-teens, they may not have realised the significance of what happened at first. For some other younger kids/teens, they might be excited about going back to school and telling their friends that they met a celebrity, try to ignore that strange moment that happened that they don't really understand and think if they mentioned it, they'd be laughed at by the other kids or otherwise not believed. If they don't feel they can tell their friends then the thought of going to the authorities and telling something that could be quite humiliating, in detail, to adults who are likely strangers to them and with the story maybe ending up in the papers about it for everyone nearby to read? its alot to expect young people to do, I think. I think nowadays its (hopefully) a bit easier but thats probably how I'd picture it.

I think it depends on how the assault happened, what was said etc. as well because if he may have claimed he was attracted to them or complimented them then that can be confusing and they might think its their fault or blame themselves and the thought of going to the police and admitting that, like they might worry that they'll somehow get some of the blame (which doesn't really make sense but I have mixed emotions about things from my past).