Thread: HMV are crafty
View Single Post
Old 17-01-2013, 21:47
Kodaz
Forum Member

I can see HMV going the way of Zavvi and being purely online once they've closed their stores.
Not the best example- Zavvi didn't even "save" itself by becoming a purely online store- it went bust and shut down.

The only connection the "new" Zavvi website has with it is the name, bought by an otherwise unrelated company. (*)

Even in a worst-case (liquidation) scenario, the HMV name will "survive" in this way. Question is whether that means much...

(*) Ironically, the first time I heard of "Zavvi", I thought the name sounded *exactly* like a web retailer. As Zavvi was only around for a year after the rebrand and is associated with the failure of the stores, I'd have thought that the old "Virgin Megastores" name was much more valuable- but Virgin (presumably) own the rights to that.

In fact, it's been said that- rather then having sold the chain at a profit before they went under- Branson actually gave it away for sod all (making them change the name), in order to avoid his brand being associated with its inevitable failure.
Kodaz is offline   Reply With Quote