View Single Post
Old 18-01-2013, 12:59
mike65
Forum Member

Shivers (aka They Came From Within aka The Parasite Murders) 1975 Dir David Cronenberg.

The inventor of "body horror" first "proper" horror feature film (Crimes of the Future is more a experimental work) is the template for the first decade of his career. A isolated expensive apartment block in Montreal is the environment invaded by a man made parasite that is passed between humans with results best described as "ikky". Its a cheap film and one that suffers from some rudimentary standards in acting, sound, editing etc but also one that builds, as Cronenberg gains confidence, to a well judged climax as the inhabitants of the complex take on the aura of a sexualized zombie horde.

Shivers is one of several films made in the 70s I've seen recently which would almost certainly fall foul of censorship (or more likely a demanded rewrite) if made in exactly the same way now with teenage children at the core of objections. I won't give anything away but there's a couple of moments that would not be filmed as was. That said it was condemned at the time described by one critic thus - "crammed with blood, violence and depraved sex" and "the most repulsive movie I've ever seen." (some would say that's a rave review! )

Not one for the sensitive then.
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote