View Single Post
Old 18-01-2013, 14:49
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

BS backatcha. Next you’ll be telling me that house-burglars are also, ironically, John Lewis’ biggest customers.

Why did illegal downloads outstrip legal ones by two to one if what you assert is true?

This current generation thinks they have a birthright to free music, movies and television and it’s this insane mindset that sees the wholesale moral bankruptcy we have online in regards to downloading illegally and in the real world chains like HMV, Zavvi, Virgin, Fopp etc struggling and going under. How can they compete with “free”?
Scare goods operate differently, unlimited copies of digital files can be made at no cost. It's not an accurate or fair comparison.

Nice to see you conveniently ignored the report which came from a reputable independent entity that acts on behalf of the British government. I have evidence from Ofcom (but somehow that still won't be enough, will it?)

The report suggests those who mix illegal and legal are willing to pay more for legal products and that they spend significantly more on TV, Music and Movies.
26% of consumers claimed to use illegal downloading as a "try before you buy".
Whilst only 54% said they did so because it it was free, which would suggest your claim "pirates just want free things" is inaccurate.

The survey data shows that for music, film and TV programmes, those who consumed a mixture of legal and illegal content claimed to spend more on that type of content over the 3-month period than those who consumed 100% legally or 100% illegally.

When asking infringers why they download or stream/access content illegally, the most common reasons cited for doing so were because it is free (54%), convenient (48%) and quick (44%). Close to a quarter (26%) of infringers also said they do it because it means they can try before they buy.
The report only says that a quarter of all music consumed on the internet is done so illegaly. Which would mean that illegal downloads did not beat legal downloads 2:1....
Music online copyright infringers were responsible for illegally downloading or streaming over a quarter (26%) of all digital music consumed on the internet.
And HMV or whoever wants to compete with free, here's what consumers want...
Factors that infringers said would encourage them to stop infringing included the availability of cheaper legal services (39%), if everything they wanted was available legally (32%) and if it was clearer what is legal and what isn’t (26%).
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/mar...right-research if you want a read. I've given you data to back my opinion up and a bit of data which disproves yours, this being Digital Spy I'm going to leave now before this turns into world war 3....
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote