View Single Post
Old 18-01-2013, 23:24
Kodaz
Forum Member

Seems kinda pointless to me - you can download free software that will rip a DVD or Blu-Ray to a digital file
This is a great example of how the media industry makes life worse for people using their "legal"- or more accurately "industry-endorsed"- file copies than it is for people simply ripping their DVD (even if they'd paid for it).

(Scroll to the bottom for the tl;dr version )

The very first time I saw a case boasting "Blu-Ray/DVD and Digital Copy", I knew straight off that the so-called "digital copy" (**) could be dismissed as worthless without further investigation. Why? Because their mindset and previous behaviour with over-DRMed schemes for "legal" music and movie downloads made obvious what was coming.

It was utterly predictable that it would include at least some of the following pain-in-the-backsideishness:-
- Require you to install some crappy piece of software on your computer before you could view the film
- ...which would probably fail to work on your machine for some "interesting" (read; unclear and pain-in-the-backside) reason
- ...maybe mess up your computer's settings
- ...quite possibly invade your privacy by sending stats or information back to the studio
- ...probably stop working under the next version of Windows (and they won't bother fixing it), rendering it effectively useless in a few year's time (this one's near certain if it's a custom app)
- ...work on a crappily limited set of portable devices that probably doesn't include your model, and certainly not the (as-yet-unreleased) one you'll buy in a year's time
- ...and since every studio and/or distributor would have their own different crappy custom DRM software you needed to view their s****y blockbusters, the nuisance would be ten times worse.

Plus, they'd probably
- Restrict what you could do with that copy, and forcing you to faff around with their crappy app to juggle the computers you can play it on (maximum; three, or whatever) to work with your new laptop. Ooh... you did remember to deactivate your old machine before you gave it away, didn't you?
- Be reliant on the company keeping online DRM servers working, which they probably won't be in a few year's time (*)

Now, I'm not saying all the above apply to all "digital copies". Just that enough of them would to either render your digital unusable and/or too much hassle to use- if not today, then certainly a few years down the line.

(*) I noticed one such copy came with the small-print disclaimer that it only lasted a year or something. My guess is that it wouldn't instantly fail after that- rather, it was put there so that when you eventually couldn't get it to work for the above reasons they could say "tough ****!"

(**) Offtopic from the rest of my comment, but... "Digital copies" is a stupid name in that it implies that the DVD and Blu-Ray (or CD) *aren't* digital.... they b****y well are! Even more stupid is the use of "digital" to mean online or "in the cloud". Basically, this highlights that despite the move from a technophobic to tech-obsessed society in the past 10-15 years, people fundamentally don't know what "digital" means and think it's just a vague work meaning "hi-tech". Hint; when discussing the move to online music streaming, we're not moving from "CD to digital". CDs already were f****** digital- the clue's in the full name "Compact Disc Digital Audio". Rant over.

tl;dr - Media industries' paranoia over copying was already well-known and it was clear that they'd ruin it with over-heavy DRM that made it more hassle than it was worth to bother using their "digital copy"
Kodaz is offline   Reply With Quote