View Single Post
Old 19-01-2013, 11:34
Karis
Forum Member

When publishers make a decision to invest in a writer, do they do it based on a couple of chapters? I imagine they want to read and assess the finished product. Clearly, a couple of chapters isn't enough to determine a writer's skill and potential. Many people could start a story, but it gets far more complicated when it comes to issues such as pacing, consistency & reaching a conclusion.
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but if you're saying that people need to see a completed product to determine whether it's worthy of their cash then that's the weakest argument I've seen on here yet (edit: apart from that movies / CDs are too expensive and one wouldn't purchase anyway).

You don't need to see a complete movie to know whether you want to watch it or not...

Requests for upcoming books is a good thing right? Are you suggesting the increase in demand for future works was a result of the free two chapter samples, as opposed to people illegally downloading the whole product? Do you have back up to confirm this?
This is the very last thing I'll say about my personal circumstances because this really needs to get back on track, but when torrent sites and the various forums are asking for a scanned copy weeks in advance of release, now that's a worrying trend. People aren't buying; they're merely waiting for the next pirated e-book to be released.

In the interests of getting this back on track, while I loathe supporting the supermarkets, they do have some nifty offers on new blu ray (Dredd is just 12.99 at Sainsbury's this week).
Karis is offline   Reply With Quote