Thread: Les Miserables
View Single Post
Old 19-01-2013, 12:58
tally
Forum Member

I've seen it twice now and I definitely agree with that. I love the stage show, but the movie does do it justice

I'm afraid I can't agree with that. I found Russell to be just as bad 2nd time around, and Stars still out of tune and soulless - there was no acting at all. Part of it was slightly better if I closed my eyes and didn't watch his (lack of) acting while he was singing, but that's not the point. And the Solliloquy still didn't have any impact either. He's the one person who didn't improve on repeat viewing for me sadly.

Yes, I agree with you there. Carter can't sing particularly well either so some of the impact was lost there, but she did make some odd choices in how she delivered her lines. Some of them were great though, it was just too much of a mixed bag.

Again, my opinion on Bring Him Home didn't change 2nd time round. No matter how great Hugh Jackman was during the rest of the movie (and he was, for the most part, brilliant), I can't forgive the mess he made of BHH. It was just completely incongruous to the context, he was shouting when he's supposed to be saying a prayer in the eerie calm before the storm. Not good at all, and he didn't even sing it particularly well either. A huge let-down in what otherwise definitely was an Oscar-nomination worthy performance.
I love your posts Mystical123 ( basically because I agree with you on everything). I've seen the film 5 times now and love it more and more, but I've got to admit Stars and Bring Him Home were the only two I wish they'd prerecorded. They're both iconic and Hugh has a fabulous voice ( will never deliver like Colm or Alfie Boe, though) which could have done marvels for the song.
Russell's growing on me. I never realised Victor Hugo based him on a real person who had two sides to his personality, so JVJ became one side, Javert the other.
I also appreciate the bringing in from the book what a change Valjean and Cosette each found someone to love. having never known any love before. It rounded out the story more.
tally is offline   Reply With Quote