View Single Post
Old 20-01-2013, 00:01
Mystical123
Forum Member

not dissing Potter, but struggling to think of anything on a Potter soundtrack likely to be as enduring as something like "May It Be" for example.

I also have to say that while the Potter films were well received by critics on the whole, I don't think it ever really achieved quite the level of critical acclaim The Lord of the Rings trilogy ever did.
To be fair, the Potter films didn't require nearly as many special effects, epic shots etc as Lord of the Rings was always going to, so a comparison of critical acclaim doesn't really work in my mind - they're two very different types of fantasy film.

The Potter score doesn't have a May It Be type of enduring song, that's true, but Hedwig's Theme is classic Williams and a very enjoyable piece of music even in isolation from the film

Brokeback Mountain not winning is absolutely a shock, one of the biggest shocks, if not the single biggest shock. It won every best picture award that awards season just about, and was expected to win by everyone. No one was calling it for Crash. As I said up thread, there was absolute outrage it didn't win, the kind that of anger that had never been seen before or since in relation to the oscars.

eta: theres a lengthy section on Brokebacks wiki page that deals with the fall out, the very existance of which rather proves that it was a shock result else said section would not exist in the first place....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...wards_reaction
It was a shock result in terms of it winning everything else and most people thinking it deserved the Oscar, yes, but that's without taking into account the historical preferences and the make-up of Academy voters. Take that into account, and in my mind there's no surprise at all that Crash won over Brokeback. Maybe that's a very cynical view, but nevertheless I do think more people should have seen a win for a film other than Brokeback Mountain coming, even if that wasn't necessarily Crash.

Goes down as a travesty in my mind (even though I loved Crash), but not a shock. At least it shouldn't have been, shame though that is.
Mystical123 is offline   Reply With Quote