View Single Post
Old 20-01-2013, 11:39
ramraider1
Forum Member

I think I'm right in saying that 'Use It Up, Wear It Out' climbed the chart and got to number 1 around the time of the 1980 Musicians' Union strike that took TOTP off air for at least a couple of months. The singles chart without TOTP's influence was an echo what happened in 1974 - black music flourished and, in that climate, Odyssey scored their first number one. Would that single have become as big a hit with no MU strike and TOTP intact? We'll never know ...

I would also hazard a guess that, by 1980, it must have become clear to RCA in the UK that some of the artists they had been spending time and money promoting (e.g. Bonnie Tyler, Gerard Kenny) were either no longer generating hits or indeed never going to, and so it might be worth putting a bit of welly behind a group that could land a number one without any TOTP exposure. And so began Odyssey's three-year run of hit singles ... all after disco was declared dead in the US!
You are quite correct here Servalan. I loved a lot of the music which was on the go mid 1980. Also recall the late Teena Marie's sublime first UK hit single 'Behind the groove' doing well in the top 10 at this time. Likewise Crown Heights Affair classic 'You Gave me love' . Mind you my preferred genre is dance / soul / r n b. Other records I bought around this time were Average White Band 'Let's Go Round Again',
Jermaine Jackson 'Let's Get Serious' and New Musik's sublime 'Sanctuary'. Wish they'd music like that today !!