View Single Post
Old 20-01-2013, 11:52
Servalan
Forum Member

Can anybody explain why there was so much Teddy Boy stuff in the charts in the mid-70s?
I just don't get it because it wasn't the 1950s.

Is this due to the age of the show makers trying to promote music they used to like as teenagers? A bit like Simon Cowell promoting dated ballady type music from the 80s and 90s on The X Factor?
I'd say that the early seventies was the first instance of pop music becoming aware of its own history. From the Teddy Boy fashions adopted by Mud, through the more overtly retro-styled hits of the Rubettes (at first) and Showaddywaddy to re-releases of 'Nut Rocker' and 'Rock Around The Clock', there's a growing awareness of musical heritage. Even David Bowie, T Rex and Mott The Hoople doffed their caps to it but gave it their own distinctive twist on tracks like 'Drive In Saturday', 'I Love To Boogie' and 'Roll Away The Stone'.

The retro rock 'n' roll-styled groups that charted in the seventies were, of course, quite 'end of the pier' and sanitised compared to the genuine Teddy Boys of the 50s, who had a pretty violent reputation. Ironic, then, that the 70s Teds aligned themselves with the establishment in their hatred of the visible youth movement of the day - punk.

But I don't think it's like anything to do with the odious Cowell, who is only interested in marketing opportunities and making money out of mugs ...