Thread: HMV are crafty
View Single Post
Old 20-01-2013, 19:10
Kodaz
Forum Member

Touch a nerve did I? Did I use too many long words?
Er, no... let me explain. You addressed the person you were replying to in a sanctimonious, lecturing manner. Hence, "sanctimonious lecturing".

(insulting really which shows you have no argument)
It's your choice if you want to feel insulted by that. However, if you actually *had* replied in that manner (which you had!), you don't have much ground for complaint when you're called out on it.

As for that pat "shows you have no argument" bit... well, I made the point I was arguing quite clear. Hence:-

Even now when they’re in administration and the website is shut down, some people seem pathologically incapable of seeing the online and the bricks and mortar as wholly seperate businesses.
Owned by the same parent company and using the same "HMV" branding.

I note that you didn't actually respond to what I said about the purpose of branding being that of identification and association, nor that by using the same branding across both operations, HMV *were* implying a connection.

Yes, once it's explained, people should know, but by using consistent branding across both, it's quite understandable that this isn't immediately obvious.

I entirely agree that HMV are entitled to run two different operations- I've nothing against that in principle, provided they explain this in their terms and conditions.
And they DO just that so you’ve negated your entire post. Well done you! A spectacular own goal.
Ooh.... you're so clever. You caught me out there!

Oh... wait.... no, you didn't. You misrepresented the point I had made and selectively quoted. What was actually said in full was...

I entirely agree that HMV are entitled to run two different operations- I've nothing against that in principle, provided they explain this in their terms and conditions. But if they're going to use versions of the same branding on both, it's unreasonable to blame members of the public for any initial confusion.
In short, making clear that my criticism wasn't of companies having separate retail/online operations, but specifically of what *you* were implying, i.e. that the difference should be immediately obvious from the (same!) names alone.

“smugly condescending” (more insults - noted).
Are you noting them in a little book? Or (more likely) are you trying to paint yourself as the guy taking the "high road" here? Despite the fact that you *had* made a comment that was quite clearly intended to be condescending towards the original poster...

And no, I get to say I’m right if I am right as is the case with HMV and HMV.com. Some other businesses operate differently.....so what?
That was the whole point, that's "what"(!)

Your argument was that people were stupid for not knowing that "HMV" (stores) and "HMV.com" were entirely separate businesses from the "different" names. Despite the fact that (as you just admitted) this isn't a consistent rule across all businesses, and hence one can't draw this conclusion from that alone.

Of course, it *is* obvious from the name that the two HMVs are separate businesses... if one already knows that they're entirely separate businesses. Er... that's what they call "circular reasoning" though.

Hardly “obsessive” but it suits your attempt to polarise I suppose.
Ha ha... that's ironic. I made clear that I had nothing against separate onine operations because I *wasn't* arguing against that point (see above) or making some pointlessly polarised stance.

*You* were the one who selectively quoted it to make it appear I was contradicting myself.

And I would suggest that this far down the line most people are aware that HMV and HMV.com were/are two seperate businesses
Indeed, hence

If they're going to use versions of the same branding on both, it's unreasonable to blame members of the public for any initial confusion.
Once it's explained, or one has read the small print, this is clear. From the branding, it isn't.
Kodaz is offline   Reply With Quote