View Single Post
Old 20-01-2013, 20:50
dmbesotted
Forum Member

Thanks for this -- I thought it was so apt that it deserved a link: http://www.thewritersjourney.com/hero%27s_journey.htm

And there is also this, for you reading pleasure: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DocMartin
I am like a dog with a bone so forgive, ignore, or indulge me.

Most often redemption does have its origins in theology as was being used in the blog that we were discussing -

I found this in one of the online dictionaries as I was having a hard time with "redemption"

Noun
1.redemption - (theology) the act of delivering from sin or saving from evil
salvation -deliverance, rescue, saving, delivery - recovery or preservation from loss or danger; "work is the deliverance of mankind"; "a surgeon's job is the saving of lives"
remission of sin, absolution, remittal, remission - the act of absolving or remitting; formal redemption as pronounced by a priest in the sacrament of penance
spiritual rebirth, conversion, rebirth - a spiritual enlightenment causing a person to lead a new life
atonement, expiation, propitiation - the act of atoning for sin or wrongdoing (especially appeasing a deity)
theology, divinity - the rational and systematic study of religion and its influences and of the nature of religious truth
2. redemption - repayment of the principal amount of a debt or security at or before maturity (as when a corporation repurchases its own stock)
corp, corporation - a business firm whose articles of incorporation have been approved in some state
quittance, repayment - payment of a debt or obligation
3.redemption - the act of purchasing back something previously sold
buyback, repurchase
purchase - the acquisition of something for payment; "they closed the purchase with a handshake

And just basic definitions:

1. an act of redeeming or the state of being redeemed.

2. deliverance; rescue.

3. Theology . deliverance from sin; salvation.

4. atonement for guilt.

5. repurchase, as of something sold.

I can accept the concept of #2 above - deliverance; rescue. But I still have issue with it because it carries with it some sense of an original act for/from which one must be rescued.

And I am now retiring this soapbox