Thread: Les Miserables
View Single Post
Old 20-01-2013, 23:47
Galinda
Forum Member

Things I like in the film version:

* Marius has a grand-dad! He even had a singing part towards the end. Thank God, thank God, he's home." Or something like that. Nice touch. Otherwise for people like me who don't read the original Victor Hugo's tome I would have thought that Marius is an orphan made good (becoming a student).
I had no idea either. Bits like that that they have added from the book has made me want to read the book even more now.

* Gavroche's tearing up when Eponine died. Got to know now that they are siblings.
I've always known they are siblings from the musical but can't recall if it's mentioned or I just worked it out from knowing they both have the same surname/parents?!

* Mentioned before, the pair of candle stands that Valjean kept up till his death. Symbolising that he's committed to remain a changed (for the better) man.
The candle sticks have always been a big part of the show too. You see Valjean pack them away during one day more and then of course they are there in the epilogue.

* Ian Hislop lookalike in the carriage as a 'posh man' when Gavorche sang his first note.
Hahaha! My dad spotted him and was convinced it was Ian hislop!

* Towards the end, the bishop welcomed Valjean to the other world, the stage version I recalled seeing Fantine and Eponine as ghosts, but that doesn't make sense because Valjean in the musical never intearacted with Epoinine, so seeing the ghosts of Fantine and the bishop make perfect sense.
I always thought it was a bit random with Eponine being there although they do interact when she passes on Marius' letter to cosette. I think the bishop being there works much better and makes more sense though.

However, I don't understand why the director used the take when Hugh's Valjean seemed to have made an obvious grammatical mistake: On his death, he sang, "On this page, I write my last confession" to Cosette while handing her the letter. I thought it should be "I wrote my last confession"? Why did they change it? Or was it just a slip from Hugh. If so, why did Hooper use that version?
I think it is "write" in the stage version too.
Galinda is offline   Reply With Quote