View Single Post
Old 21-01-2013, 02:31
Rich Tea.
Forum Member

A few interesting points Servalan, regards the 1980 strike and it's possible effects chartwise. If I recall from previous postings, the whole of June and July 1980 TOTP were wiped out. Only last year I discovered for the first time the hit single that Change had in 1980, A Lover's Holiday & The Glow Of Love, a double A side I believe, and not 2 separate hits. Got them both, and played them to bits on iPod.

Regards Bonnie Tyler, of course by 1980 she appeared washed up, and in the start of 1978 was having her biggest hit to date with It's A Heartache, which was No6 in Thursdays edition I think. But of course she was still years away from her two biggest ever hit singles, a No1 in 1983, and a No2 in 1985. By summer 1980, Abba had not topped the UK charts for exactly the same gap as Odyssey had been absent, and looked to be in slight decline some said, but then hit with two further No1 hits by the end of the year. Mind you, in that two and a half year period from early 1978 to summer 1980, all their hits went top 5 still, and were up to scratch without a doubt.

Alrightmate mentioned why there was so much 50's revivalism in the late 70's, and it is only through watching TOTP 1976 through to the first TOTP 1978 that I have become aware of how much appeared to be showing. I recall later Showaddywaddy from about 1978, and then hearing their earlier tracks later on, and considered them all new tracks to me at the time as a 9 year old that year. I Wonder Why? and A Little Bit Of Soap from '78 are more covers I presume?

Listened to Smooth's Double Top 20, with the "Kid" Jensen tonight (6pm-8pm if interested) and he played this week in 1976, so about 3 months before the re-runs began. What struck me was not just the revivals in the charts but the actual original hits coming back as re-releases for some strange reason. At No11 was the ancient Laurel & Hardy Trail Of The Lonesome Pine that had been way up at No2 the week before, even more curious was why the Small Faces were at No9 with Itchycoo Park again, from the 60's. Even Chubby Checker was at No6 with the original versions of The Twist/Let's Twist Again! We saw evidence of this continuing when the re-runs began in the April, when a few Beatles tracks charted and I recall Ruby Flipper doing a sequence to Back In The USSR.

I think 1978 was the last really retro year, and by '79 it was different, until we get to 1986/87/88 with ad's making big hits.

Anyway Alrightmate, if you really want to be shocked at retro music in the 1970's, just take a look at the list of No1 albums from autumn 1976 to spring 1978 and you will be astounded by it, and who was selling. I mentioned it once before on last years thread. If you think 1977 is all about punks and disco, the album chart that year will shatter your illusions massively.