View Single Post
Old 21-01-2013, 03:34
cc.cookie
Forum Member

I am like a dog with a bone so forgive, ignore, or indulge me.

Most often redemption does have its origins in theology as was being used in the blog that we were discussing -

I found this in one of the online dictionaries as I was having a hard time with "redemption"

Noun
1.redemption - (theology) the act of delivering from sin or saving from evil
salvation -deliverance, rescue, saving, delivery - recovery or preservation from loss or danger; "work is the deliverance of mankind"; "a surgeon's job is the saving of lives"
remission of sin, absolution, remittal, remission - the act of absolving or remitting; formal redemption as pronounced by a priest in the sacrament of penance
spiritual rebirth, conversion, rebirth - a spiritual enlightenment causing a person to lead a new life
atonement, expiation, propitiation - the act of atoning for sin or wrongdoing (especially appeasing a deity)
theology, divinity - the rational and systematic study of religion and its influences and of the nature of religious truth
2. redemption - repayment of the principal amount of a debt or security at or before maturity (as when a corporation repurchases its own stock)
corp, corporation - a business firm whose articles of incorporation have been approved in some state
quittance, repayment - payment of a debt or obligation
3.redemption - the act of purchasing back something previously sold
buyback, repurchase
purchase - the acquisition of something for payment; "they closed the purchase with a handshake

And just basic definitions:

1. an act of redeeming or the state of being redeemed.

2. deliverance; rescue.

3. Theology . deliverance from sin; salvation.

4. atonement for guilt.

5. repurchase, as of something sold.

I can accept the concept of #2 above - deliverance; rescue. But I still have issue with it because it carries with it some sense of an original act for/from which one must be rescued.

And I am now retiring this soapbox
DM's original act or problem that he needs to be rescued from is his subconscious reaction to blood. That is the premise for the show. Without that happening to him he wouldn't have moved from London and he would be ok in his own little world. But the act (reaction) necessitated a call to action on his part a movement out of his own little world.