View Single Post
Old 22-01-2013, 20:54
Asmo
Forum Member

From what I understood, it was the writer who said Savile used a mask, not the "victim" and the whole ritual seemed to me more a staged act to scare her. A sadistic thing. Not that I believe in the story.
The alleged victim is the sole source of the story, all the details must have come from them, unless the (conspiracy fond) express are even more underhanded & salacious.

I'm not sure Wikipedia is the best source of info and so of the cases in the article remain "inconclusive". There seemed to be a "moral panic" about day care institutions in the 80's and early 90's that undermined the whole idea, especially in the US.
The Wikipedia link is simply a quick collection of actual cases from the period (they can all be independently googled, it would have been a thankless trawl doing so individually!). I remember the hysteria of the period well, and how several 'investigators' promoting the idea of literal satanic practices - including police - had Evangelical connections. There were Evangelical groups touring universities and plugging their claims of satanic influences in pop music and television, finding 'evidence' everywhere. Their claims found their way into the conspiracy culture that emerged since, and they re-emerge whenever it there's an opportunity to piggyback on events from school shootings to child abuse.

Then I watched this German documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUzQ7aqFyiU

(It is in five parts. Terrible stuff)

And I'm not sure if I don't believe it anymore. The problem with "ritual abuse" is that the idea was hijacked by christians fundamentalists and conspiracy theorists, who thinks the world is controlled by Illuminati/Masons/Satan Worshippers/Jews colluded with the Catholic Church, etc. If there is "ritual abuse" these people are not helping.
Yes, particularly in Europe there have been cases with these elements (and others without any abuse element like the 'Solar Temple' cult deaths) - but they are markedly distinct from the express story. There's no doubt they are paedophiles first, the rest is a distraction.
The express story doesn't wash because (as with the hysterical evangelical claims before) the focus is not that abuse took place, but that 'Satanism' is real and being practiced in full technicolor glory at the end of every street.