View Single Post
Old 24-01-2013, 10:20
flagpole
Inactive Member

No sorry, My fault for the way I wrote it. Its 8 miles one way, then home again. This is 5 days a week. So 16 miles a day.

I also tend to drive quite sedately to save diesel. I don't give the car much welly at all. My husband now thinks i should be a little more aggressive to blow the soot out and accelerate from junctions a little harder. He thinks the extra small amount of diesel used is worth it, as it might stop the DPF being a problem. Previously i changed gear to move into 5th / 6th as soon as possible, but we are now thinking that I should be driving in a higher gear to give it some blow.

Am I making any sense at all ?
I follow but it doesn't make sense no.

If you are driving 8 miles twice a day every day this is plenty to get the car running at optimal temperatures.

you can't blow the soot through the filter by revving hard. it is specifically designed to capture the soot, to not let it through, if you thrash it you'll just generate more soot.

If all you used your car for was to go to the corner shop then that would be different. but you're not, your using it as intended, you don't need to do anything else.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote