View Single Post
Old 27-01-2013, 10:08
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

I'm 46. I suppose if I did leave home and lived on my own I'd just have to manage - mostly, people manage to cope with things if they have to. I enviage rather me continuing to stay with my parents, but perhaps taking on housework later if my parents become less able. Eventually, of course, they won't be around. However, as I say, I think I'll cope with things when the time comes that I have to.
Surely you at least know how to boil an egg? I was about eight when I learned how to do that. I still live with family and I do most of the washing and ironing and my brother who also lives at home is a better cook than my mum! (Not being mean, she'll tell you herself that he's better than she is).

Living at home is no excuse for not learning essential life skills. I wouldn't dream of expecting my mum to do everything for me and she wouldn't do it either. When your parents do everything for you then you have no incentive to ever leave. I already have itchy feet to move out but can't afford it at the moment.

No one should have to teach you this stuff. Cleaning is not hard, operating a washing machine is not hard, even cooking isn't that difficult really. My mum has bad arthritis already struggles to stand for long periods, so we help her. That is how it should be when your living under their roof
Vodka_Drinka is offline   Reply With Quote