View Single Post
Old 29-01-2013, 23:45
DavetheScot
Forum Member

I think you're really missing the point here. Whether that's because you identify with Helen and see nothing wrong with her wilful helplessness, or you're being deliberately obtuse, I'm not sure? It's not how inept she is that's the issue, it's the way she seems to revel in it and make it such a part of her public persona. There's nothing remotely clever or interesting about being dim-witted and inept. And yet she seems to use it as a primary selling point.

If she had something of substance to compensate for this ineptness she seems to wallow in, then fine, it would show that it's not her sole raison d'Ítre. But she doesn't! Or, if she does, she makes no attempt to reveal the substance behind the dimwit. As it is, all 'Helen Flanagan' conjures up is an inept, navel-gazing idiot who reacts only to criticism of the inept, navel-gazing Helen Flanagan that she goes out of her way to present herself as.
That may be the issue for you, but it isn't quite the issue that had been raised by jerseyporter, which I responded too thus sidetracking the thread somewhat. That was very much about Helen's upbringing and what her parents had expected of her itself, rather than Helen making it part of her persona.
DavetheScot is offline   Reply With Quote