View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 16:06
The Prumeister
Forum Member

Rumour is that has always given loads to charity and never made big deal of it.

I think using his status to highlight charitable giving is exactly the right thing to do. Celebs have a lot of power and influence and he is using that in exactly the right way.
I gave some money to charity today for the first time in quite a while because reading this story made me realise how long its been. A good thing all around.

I would dispute that entirely.

Using his status to highlight a particular charity is a great thing; but as has been pointed out, all we know of this charity is that it's a Parisian children's charity; we know nothing of who they are, what they do etc.

Does David Beckham donating his salary to charity in this way really sway people to do the same? I would strongly contest that.. I give what I can of my monthly salary to Barnardo's - it's not much, but it's what I can afford; I've been doing this for years. I know lots of other people who donate to causes in a similar way. I don't think your average person in the street is that myopic or unaware that it takes David Beckham to suddenly make them realise that donating money to charity is a good thing; I think that's a fallacy that treats the public like fools.
The Prumeister is offline   Reply With Quote