View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:19
patsylimerick
Forum Member

I've always thought Beckham gets way more stick than he deserves.

Throughout his career, he's always seemed quite private, and never that keen or comfortable with the celebrity side of it. Sure he's often in the public eye, but rarely in a bad way.

And, perhaps more than most footballers these days, he's always seemed a great ambassador for the game and sport generally.

I hate the way when people do something like this, people are queuing up to have a go at them, about it not being selfless. At least their doing it.

And what does he get out of really? Publicity? Like he needs publicity any more than he needs the money?
He and his wife crave publicity, they always have. Once again - there would be nothing to criticise if he handed the cheque over quietly and asked the hospice to keep it quiet. He invited the discussion - good and bad. I wonder why......

Whether Victoria drove it or not, he was anything BUT private in the early days... Constant centrespreads in OK, the wedding pics, the TV documentaries.... Say what you like about Beckham but he is anything but private.. You don't get to his level of fame by keeping yourself to yourself. Sure, VB probably orchestrated a lot of the publicity but to say he is private is, IMHO, completely wrong.
Very true. His aversion to privacy in the earlier stages of his marriage led, as I recall, to quite a lot of conflict with Ferguson and his team-mates.
patsylimerick is offline   Reply With Quote