View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 17:22
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

Thankyou BigBmad, very kind of you, I really should learn how to use the Internet properly. Thanks and all the best, Jason.
As an avid Sky at Night viewer for many years I'm pretty disappointed there wasn't an "In Memory of Patrick Moore" at the end of tonight's episode (the first without Pactrick Moore as far as I'm aware).
I can't remember, but did they pay a tribute to Sir Patrick in last month's episode?

Watching The Sky At Night this evening it was hard to believe that this was the first ever episode of the show since the spring of 1957 without Patrick Moore on it. Not that I can recall that far back, as I was a long way from coming into the world then. But even though I knew he has now passed, some part of me still expected to see him, and it felt very real that he had gone when the programme ended, even though the regulars were all in attendance. I wonder if this is just a transient provisional set up until a more settled format and presenter will emerge in due course?

Tonight the subject matter had a "back to basics" feel about it in my opinion, which I hope is not an indication of future direction being demanded post Sir Patrick.

Taking another look at his final edition, isn't there something so very sad about him wishing us all a happy new year for a year he himself did not see, and mentioning Christmas that he fell short of.

As he himself said, we are made from stardust, and he has returned from whence he came.
I wasn't alive when that show first aired on TV! It is sad not to see Sir Patrick there but (and I'm sure he'd agree) the important thing is that the Sky at Night continues on to inspire future generations of amateur and professional astronomers.

Actually PM missed one episode a few years back due to food poisoning.

However, they may well do something next month when the do the Moore winter Marathon. Of course it's quite possible (if not likely) that PM didn't want anything like that on the show about him and I suspect he'd be rather happy with what they did. Patrick was never one for self congratulation.

I thought the dodgy models of the solar system, Lucie Green nearly killing herself blowing up the balloon and Chris with a watering can were all great and a long way from the CGI whoosh bang stuff we tend to get these days and a bit of a subtle nod to Sir Patrick.

One question I've not seen answered yet is what is going to happen to all Patrick's works, especially his drawings, in particular all the lunar stuff he did in the build up to the Apollo missions.

It really annoys me that here is one Brit who had a genuine (if small) part in the Apollo missions and yet his scientific contribution is ignored.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Royal Mail did some stamps for example based on some of his drawings?

I suspect that deep down in the blazer wearing tossers of the establishment there is still resentment that a non scientist amateur had a part in Apollo.
Sir Patrick apparently loved this sketch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3bb-4URRHI

I thought Sir Patrick wanted his house to become a museum/archive and no doubt his friend Brian May will be closely involved in what happens to Farthings.

As far as I recall, American astronauts and NASA officials have all paid tribute to Sir Patrick's very important mapping contribution to the Apollo programme which guided both the earlier lunar probes and then the later Apollo missions themselves. I don't know about the British academic establishment although he did end up as a fellow of both the Royal Society and Royal Astronomy Society. I would certainly say that he made a professional contribution to lunar cartography, that he was a professional science broadcaster and that he was a professional science writer.
TelevisionUser is offline   Reply With Quote