View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 20:24
pfgpowell
Forum Member

I just mean that personally if someone was openly homophobic to me at least I would know where I stand with them. But to be told my sexuality is tolerated by someone would leave me wondering what they really think.
This is never quite as straightforward as some would like it too appear to.

My younger brother is gay and he is the brother I am closest to but also a very good friend. We are very close and I stay with him every week when I go to London to work. If anything (though I'm not too sure why) he is rather homophobic. I also have several gay friends. I first became more relaxed about gays (people of my age - I'm 63 - grew up when being gay or lesbian wasn't half as accepted as now, if at all, and in the early days it was still snigger, snigger, snigger) when I matured a little and was at times very lonely. It occurred to me that it could be quite tough being lonely and gay and that everyone, gay or straight, deserved the closeness and companionship which love brings.

But here is what I am saying: the idea of having sex with another guy really, really turns me off. And I know that the idea of having sex with another woman turns many women off. Yet in the modern climate of I really have to be careful of saying because I could be found guilty of homophobia. And that isn't quite right either.

Why shouldn't I be able to pronounce, if relevant, that I find gay sex repellent? But I can't if I know what's good for me. In the modern world I am best advised to keep my mouth shut. So there are many sides to this issue.
pfgpowell is offline   Reply With Quote