View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 03:41
Listentome
Forum Member

This is never quite as straightforward as some would like it too appear to.

My younger brother is gay and he is the brother I am closest to but also a very good friend. We are very close and I stay with him every week when I go to London to work. If anything (though I'm not too sure why) he is rather homophobic. I also have several gay friends. I first became more relaxed about gays (people of my age - I'm 63 - grew up when being gay or lesbian wasn't half as accepted as now, if at all, and in the early days it was still snigger, snigger, snigger) when I matured a little and was at times very lonely. It occurred to me that it could be quite tough being lonely and gay and that everyone, gay or straight, deserved the closeness and companionship which love brings.

But here is what I am saying: the idea of having sex with another guy really, really turns me off. And I know that the idea of having sex with another woman turns many women off. Yet in the modern climate of I really have to be careful of saying because I could be found guilty of homophobia. And that isn't quite right either.

Why shouldn't I be able to pronounce, if relevant, that I find gay sex repellent? But I can't if I know what's good for me. In the modern world I am best advised to keep my mouth shut. So there are many sides to this issue.
But finding same sex sexual practices repellant isn't the same thing as being homophobic and it also doesn't demonstrate unacceptance of other people's sexuality. I'd take no more offense at that than I would hearing a straight man say he found certain things a woman asked him to do repellant. Even as a gay man I I find some gay sexual choices not to my liking. I also find the thoughts of sex with women, not so much repellant, but undesirable. However I am in no way, and do not consider myself to be, heterophobic nor dislike women. I actually prefer women to men in all other areas of life such as friendship.
Listentome is offline   Reply With Quote