View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 17:19
Zocky
Forum Member

I have nearly finished with my degree (YAY!) and so am off into the real world to find a job and I'm really looking forward to it! For my degree I spent my third year working full time, and I much preferred it to the rest of the degree, so I can't wait to get out there and find a job

So far I've applied for three graduate jobs in my field, had one outright no, one interview then no, and one didn't respond, so I still have a lot to learn, but hopefully I will get there!

As I said, I'm just about to graduate from university, and ideally I'd like a job in the field I've trained in, but I will apply for anything and everything going (well, that I can apply for, no point applying for job as a Doctor/plumber/lawyer etc. when I'm not one, but within reason ) to tide me over until I get a job in the field I want.

I was wondering if there was any general advice for jobseekers just leaving uni when applying to places like shops and coffee shops? For example, if I want to apply for a job at Starbucks, should I print out an application and take it in dressed up really smartly, or really casually, or smart casual, or...? I was wondering if anyone could advice me please
Also, are potential employed put off by ear piercings? Once I finish my fourth year placement (my job involves people looking at my ears :P ) I am thinking of getting a couple of the slightly 'funkier' ear piercings- would this be a big turn off for employers? By the time I start work, they should have healed enough to take them out, but would this turn an employer off if I went in and said "can I apply for a job?" and I had a few earrings in?
Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give x
Zocky is offline   Reply With Quote