View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 15:04
NewPark
Forum Member

3. "But the fact that he wasn't told clearly upset Martin and made it easier for him to rationalize/believe that she didn't want him involved." I see no other way for DM or any other man on the planet to interpret LG's actions, than she didn't want him involved. That's not misreading by DM; that's reading what LG was saying and doing accurately.

4. LG making assumptions about Edith, and her relationship with DM, is another repetitive bad habit of LG's. Need we say "Godfather apology"? A mature, well-adjusted individual could easily ask about Edith without assuming DM has replaced her and doesn't want anything to do with her. Even if she doesn't ask DM, Pauline would certainly give any gossip along those lines. Unfortunately, we see LG falling into bad habits from their first meeting, and initiating the resultant havoc. Not solely being the cause, of course, as DM plays his clear part once things are spoiled in the first episode, but LG was, I feel, the one who started them off so very badly.
I agree that while she was in London she certainly didn't want him involved with her pregnancy -- as she explicitly tells him in the schoolroom scene. I would even say that it was "high-handed" of her. But once she returns to Portwenn, I suspect it wouldn't have taken much effort on DM's part to persuade her to let him be of some help and support in her pregnancy and afterwards. I don't think she intended to press him for this in any way, but if things had started off on the right foot, I think she would have allowed him as much involvement as he wanted.

Once she leaped to the conclusion that another woman was in his life, though, I can see her refusing to deal with that situation by trying to steer clear of him, and any offers of help. Of course, the leaping to conclusions was foolish, but I think her feelings were more complex than just wishing to shut him out.