View Single Post
Old 15-02-2013, 18:59
MadManWithABox
Forum Member

This is never quite as straightforward as some would like it too appear to.

My younger brother is gay and he is the brother I am closest to but also a very good friend. We are very close and I stay with him every week when I go to London to work. If anything (though I'm not too sure why) he is rather homophobic. I also have several gay friends. I first became more relaxed about gays (people of my age - I'm 63 - grew up when being gay or lesbian wasn't half as accepted as now, if at all, and in the early days it was still snigger, snigger, snigger) when I matured a little and was at times very lonely. It occurred to me that it could be quite tough being lonely and gay and that everyone, gay or straight, deserved the closeness and companionship which love brings.

But here is what I am saying: the idea of having sex with another guy really, really turns me off. And I know that the idea of having sex with another woman turns many women off. Yet in the modern climate of I really have to be careful of saying because I could be found guilty of homophobia. And that isn't quite right either.

Why shouldn't I be able to pronounce, if relevant, that I find gay sex repellent? But I can't if I know what's good for me. In the modern world I am best advised to keep my mouth shut. So there are many sides to this issue.
There aren't really. It boils down to this.

It's fine for people to be gay.

It's fine for them to have gay sex.

It's unproductive to label gay sex 'repellant', especially since you say you're okay with gay people.

You can be okay with gay people without finding gay sex appealing. If you found it appealing, then you'd be gay.

That's why many straight people are okay with gay people, yet attracted to the opposite sex.

It's not complicated at all. Just don't go around saying that things are 'repellent' because that can easily be misconstrued as you hating gay people. The reason people probably KICK OFF with you when you say that is because it comes off as homophobic - OBVIOUSLY you don't find gay sex appealing because you're straight, everyone knows that so there's no point spelling it out. When you DO spell it out, it therefore looks like homophobia, because it gets a response of 'Well yeah, of course you don't like gay sex - you're straight - so why mention it other than to try and criticise gay people in some way?'.
MadManWithABox is offline   Reply With Quote