View Single Post
Old 18-02-2013, 23:47
Gatehouse
Forum Member

I disagree Arby is Arby. He does what needs to be done to get his mission accomplished. That will be tieing to a tree, breaking arms and fingers and grabbing something ofal. It is bullets to the head to get compliance, set up a patsy or just to waste the opposition.

I think Jessica might be in trouble. Arby is a killer - it's all he knows. Twice she's disappointed Arby - he's a fan for Chrissake! The first time he was so bemused at her performance he asked "Where is Jessica Hyde" and walked off. The second time she said she's rip the life from him but left him alive. I think his fandom is waning.

Look out Jess! And I love Arby as the most developed anti-hero I've seen in a long time.
To be fair, I was kinda kidding around! But from the viewers perspective we are rooting for him whereas we were terrified of him-and he has as much of a back-story of abuse as anyone in the series, so he has my sympathy. His behaviour at the end of his last scene was as noble as any we've seen aside from perhaps by Milner.

But you are missing a major point-he isn't on anybody's mission any more. That's what that whole "not at the end of a gun" thing was about. To face up to what he is and break away takes an incredible amount of strength-that's a lot of conditioning to peel back. And there's no way Jessica means him any harm, or he her. They're way past that. She clearly gave him the empathetic look when she was demanding the manuscript in the cell-it was a "don't make me do this-but I will if I must" look as she held the gun up. And she left him with a look of pity-she realised what a terrible tragic mess he is, and there's nothing that can undo what he's done and what he's been. All thanks to the brutal experimentation of his own father.

The "where is Jessica Hyde" wander-off moment at Alice's house wasn't him walking off bemused-she wasn't letting him down, he was letting her go as Assistant says ("he had her-and he let her go")! He'd started turning by then.

He's my favourite character in every way. Donaldson probably comes second
Gatehouse is offline   Reply With Quote