View Single Post
Old 19-02-2013, 14:28
Calvin Harris
Forum Member

His behaviour at the end of his last scene was as noble as any we've seen aside from perhaps by Milner.
I still don't trust Milner. Might not be what's intended but there's much about Milner that just doesn't sit right with me.

But you are missing a major point-
No I'm not

-he isn't on anybody's mission any more.
Everything Arby does is a mission. The latest was his own but, as he said to Jessica "Of course. That's why I'm here". Not because anyone had sent him. This was HIS mission for himself.

And there's no way Jessica means him any harm, or he her. They're way past that
Are we watching the same show? Jess was uncharacteristically trembling as she held the gun up to him. There's anger, for sure, but I think she showed fear, too. Arby shows no fear at all. And I agree with you, his "journey" has been immense and totally credible down to the writing and the fantastic portrayal from Neil Maskell.

She clearly gave him the empathetic look when she was demanding the manuscript in the cell-it was a "don't make me do this-but I will if I must" look as she held the gun up. And she left him with a look of pity-she realised what a terrible tragic mess he is,
And we interpret this scene quite differently. Which helps to make this show as great as it is and this discussion thread the hotbed of ideas it is.

The "where is Jessica Hyde" wander-off moment at Alice's house wasn't him walking off bemused-she wasn't letting him down, he was letting her go
Again - interpretation differences. I hear his intonation quite differently as those that preceeded. It was like a "Where is the girl I've admired as an uber killer all this time?" sort of delivery rather than an "I can't see you" thang! IMHO

He's (Arby) my favourite character in every way. Donaldson probably comes second
Can't disagree with you there!

These two are fascinating, deep and well rounded characters. Both beautifully played, as well. I would put Wilson Wilson (so good they named him twice) and Dugdale in there, too. All very different but expertly played. Of course, the former two are arguably unlikeable so makes it more astonishing that we like them so much!

Discloser - I'm not a mass murderer, either
Calvin Harris is offline   Reply With Quote