Thread: The Future?
View Single Post
Old 22-02-2013, 13:45
Vetinari
Forum Member

Depends what you mean by 'flawed' - purchasing individual sports or events would be EXTREMELY expensive to make it viable
Do you have any evidence or even some vaguely cogent argument as to why that should be the case?

If I want to go and see one football match I can buy a ticket. If I want to see all of one clubs matches I can buy a season ticket. If I want to buy a bottle of milk, Tesco do not insist I buy a bundle of foods I do not want or need - they just sell me a pint of milk. It seems that it's only Sky and others of their ilk that cannot sell people what they want without forcing them to buy things they don't.

- and un-bundling would result in the closure of many (if not most?) of the existing channels.
Thank you for supporting my point. The fact that (you believe that), without Sky's monopolistic pricing and bundling scheme, many channels would not survive as they are not providing enough of what people want to get the revenue to keep going very clearly demonstrates why the current system is flawed.

If people had to pay for individual channels, then most of the BBC ones would cease to exist - never mind the far more minor channels.
That's as may be but I wasn't suggesting that public service broadcaster channels should join commercial ones. Merely that if you want to pay for some channels it should be for you to decide which ones you want and not Rupert Murdoch.
Vetinari is offline   Reply With Quote