View Single Post
Old 24-02-2013, 12:24
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

Just look at the BBC1 comedy Birds of a Feather. After Tracey and Sharon's husbands were sent down for armed robbery, Sharon got a job in a supermarket, most of the time being behind the Deli counter, selling cheese and other products. Less than a year later, she was sacked. She had to go on the dole, but did manage to get into work about three years later. She became self employed, and opened her own cafe.

As for Tracey, if I remember, the money her and Darryl had, gradually ran out as the episodes went on. I remember in one episode, in the second series I believe, Tracey went to a cash dispensing machine to get some money and the machine rejected her card, saying it was empty.

So yeah, prisoners wives can easily get into situations that mean they have to start claiming benefits. They haven't got their husbands who can go out to work for them.

It's very different nowadays, to what it was like back in the 1950s and 1960s. Back then, the wife normally stayed at home, cleaning and cooking, plus looking after the kids, while the husband went to work, somewhere.

Nowadays, because of the state of things, with us being in a double-dip recession, both the wife and husband have to work, just to get enough money in to live a decent life. It's not right that both have to work, but at the moment, most couples have to.

I blame Gordon Brown when he was PM for this mess. I hold him soley responsible for the recession that started in 2008. It's still going on and it looks like it's going to get worse. They were saying on the news just before Christmas, that by the end of 2013, we could be in a triple-dip recession.

I thought back in the Summer, we were gradually starting to get out of this finacial mess, but it seems to have wavered back again.

God, Gordon Brown. The man should never have been PM in the first place. I've heard other people say the same thing over the last three years or so.

I know most people will think that I've babbled on a bit much, but I think I have made my point fairly and squarely.
Not sure how you can solely blame Gordon Brown for a global recession? I couldn't stand the man, but lets not get away with ourselves, most of the Western World is in a financial mess and in fact the UK is probably better off than a lot of places. Greece, Spain and our neighbours Ireland come to mind.

There are so many things wrong with your comment I don't know where to start? I assume you think we should hark back to the days when a women's place was in the home, chained to the sink running about after her man?
Vodka_Drinka is offline   Reply With Quote