ESPN America (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    stevendale123stevendale123 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ElMarko wrote: »
    Yep they do indeed :)

I seem to be having more and more trouble getting around it every time i need to
  • Options
    boogity_ukboogity_uk Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I can see the end of ESPNA as its own channel they will just use the rights as filler for 11pm to 6am

To be its own channel it needs all the NFL and NHL

the nhl is tied up for 3 and half more years but hopefully Premier sports will given it back or go bankrupt

The press release pretty much says that ESPN America will continue as a stand alone channel. If there's enough to fill it now I can't see why that would be any different once BT take over.

I could well see the new ESPN America making a bid for NFL MNF this year given the BBC red button debacle from last season.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT make no mention of baseball at all in their takeover of ESPN America though. Is this a deal that will not transfer with the purchase? Otherwise why omit reference when mentioning other American sports? It would be a major part of what BT would show come August 1 if they took over the ESPN America schedule then as suggested. But if ESPN America in Europe is closing are they selling their liong term MLB rights to someone other than BT?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boogity_uk wrote: »
    The press release pretty much says that ESPN America will continue as a stand alone channel. If there's enough to fill it now I can't see why that would be any different once BT take over.

I could well see the new ESPN America making a bid for NFL MNF this year given the BBC red button debacle from last season.

Wheres the official press release as all I have read is
    The move gives the telco access to a host of live sports from the US currently aired on ESPN America including college basketball, football and Nascar.
    The deal also gives BT access to US sports broadcast on ESPN America including NCAA College Basketball, NCAA College Football and Nascar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT make no mention of baseball at all in their takeover of ESPN America though. Is this a deal that will not transfer with tye purchase? Otherwise why omit reference?

ESPN paid $5.6billion for the baseball rights in the usa and Europe, Latin America, Caribbean, Middle East, Africa, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands and on Cruise Ships

I would guess BT will have to sign a deal with ESPN that wasn't part of this deal. Makes the closing down ESPNA everywhere else seem crazy to me.

ESPN MLB Rights
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which suggests BT did not want to pay for MLB at a level ESPN would seek. Otherwise they could have included them in the takeover and sold them to other broadcasters around Europe.

I wonder - then - will ESPN keep the MLB Europe rights and if BT do not want them and nobody else pays enough to Disney for UK rights may sell them to another bidder in Europe - such as Sky? - and they might even disappear from the UK entirely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which suggests BT did not want to pay for MLB at a level ESPN would seek. Otherwise they could have included them in the takeover and sold them to other broadcasters around Europe.

I wonder - then - will ESPN keep the MLB Europe rights and if BT do not want them and nobody else pays enough to Disney for UK rights may sell them to another bidder in Europe - such as Sky? - and they might even disappear from the UK entirely?

If BT don't wont it only other option is premier sports which isnt HD and dont have enough air time and will cause blackouts on MLB.tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would Sky not be interested? They could create a Sky Sports America channel around it - which they could market as a new Sports channel to add to their F 1 devoted channel etc. Might be worth it to Sky to be able to promote themselves as having the most Sports channels and the most themed excusive channels. There is going to be a PR war with BT and things like that might be important.
  • Options
    Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We can but dream of a return to terrestrial TV with Johnny and Josh, but on Channel 4 HD to supplement its NFL coverage just like the good old days of US Sports on Five! Would MLB basically give away rights to make sure it stays on UK TV much like the NFL gave SNF to terrestrial for next to nothing?

Premier Sports would seem the logical outcome if BT haven't got it, as I don't think MLB are too bothered about the UK market in the same way the NFL are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gray77 wrote: »
    We can but dream of a return to terrestrial TV with Johnny and Josh, but on Channel 4 HD to supplement its NFL coverage just like the good old days of US Sports on Five! Would MLB basically give away rights to make sure it stays on UK TV much like the NFL gave SNF to terrestrial for next to nothing?

Premier Sports would seem the logical outcome if BT haven't got it, as I don't think MLB are too bothered about the UK market in the same way the NFL are.

ESPN own the MLB TV rights to 2021
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ESPN own the MLB TV rights to 2021

But if nobody in the UK wants to pay big money for them what then? Do they just not bother selling them or get what they can even if it is peanuts?

Have Sky ever been interested in MLB?
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These sports rights issues are annoying. I was looking forward to the start of the MLB season but with todays news that is now up in the air.

Can we please have some clarification regarding the MLB and Other US sports from august 1 and beyond
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if nobody in the UK wants to pay big money for them what then? Do they just not bother selling them or get what they can even if it is peanuts?

Just look at the crazy NHL rights last year. For espn america to be closing everywhere else except UK shows to me ESPN don't care they have the rights they (ESPNA) are either losing money or not enough profit to continue the channel
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    I think we need more info from BT Sport / ESPN as to what is included and what isn't (and why), what is being done to try and sort a deal as to those things not included, plans for the channel, the return of magazine shows, the NFL position and so on.

Everything else is just speculation (or panic) and much based on nothing more than what words were or weren't included in the articles published to date. The omission of certain sports etc might be entirely innocent.

Keep calm.
  • Options
    Ben1980Ben1980 Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gut reaction tells me that Sky Sports USA might be on the horizon.

I'm guessing Sky knew that MLB's contract with ESPN had a no right of transfer clause and that they become up for grabs the minute BT take over ESPN's operations.

This could also be a similar case with the MLS rights.

Put MLB with the NBA and NFL then Sky have a big rival for the future ESPN America and might fend off those people likely to leave for the major US sports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I could only see sky being interested if they wanted to make a SKY America or USA channel they have NBA and NFL if they added NHL and MLB they could do that. MLB looks like its available now and NHL rights in 3 years times or when premier sports goes bankrupt hope that's sooner than 3 years
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    These sports rights issues are annoying. I was looking forward to the start of the MLB season but with todays news that is now up in the air.

Can we please have some clarification regarding the MLB and Other US sports from august 1 and beyond

Isn't MLB the only major problematic live sport where it is unclear what will happen ?

They have said they will continue NCAA so that's CFB and CBB.

I guess some of the other live ESPN live sports may be at risk like X-Games and Little League World Series. They also have AHL to cover for the NHL they no longer show.

The big one is MLB. May force me to get At Bat streaming. Can't see anyone else in the UK wanting more than the occasional game.

I guess it shows have as a premium channel in the UK subsidised it being only a basic channel elsewhere in Europe if its not economic to continue so they close. Means NFL will also be looking for a new home in much of Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben1980 wrote: »

I'm guessing Sky knew that MLB's contract with ESPN had a no right of transfer clause and that they become up for grabs the minute BT take over ESPN's operations.

Put MLB with the NBA and NFL then Sky have a big rival for the future ESPN America and might fend off those people likely to leave for the major US sports.

Agreed - as I said in post 1684 above. This makes sense for Sky in th coming PR war with BT. Sky also have a good base of US sports to build a channel around.

Is BTs fear of this a reason they may have decided to keep ESPN America as a separate channel under BT ownership - as per mention of retaining an ESPN branding here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Means NFL will also be looking for a new home in much of Europe.

and mlb and nhl
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and mlb and nhl

Sky own sports channels in Germany and Italy. Another reason they might have a broader strategy for Sky America as a brand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You beat me too it

Totally agree
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You beat me too it

Totally agree

Maybe - but lets not forget that ESPN America was getting weekly viewing figures of no more than 80,000 - less than 1% of Sky's current subscriber figure. The question will be whether the outlay is worth the return.
  • Options
    Ben1980Ben1980 Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe - but lets not forget that ESPN America was getting weekly viewing figures of no more than 80,000 - less than 1% of Sky's current subscriber figure. The question will be whether the outlay is worth the return.

That makes total sense but something Sky may be willing to accept in what appears to be their biggest challenge to date
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN paid $5.6billion for the baseball rights in the usa and Europe, Latin America, Caribbean, Middle East, Africa, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands and on Cruise Ships

I would guess BT will have to sign a deal with ESPN that wasn't part of this deal. Makes the closing down ESPNA everywhere else seem crazy to me.

ESPN MLB Rights

Europe will be the only real area to be hit by this, the other two ESPN America areas (Middle East and Africa) both have other ESPN channels which could probably take on some of what ESPNA showed.

I still think any Sky Sports USA is a very small possibility. It's no coincidence that them moving back into NBA came just before this years London game and with talk of possibly more games each year in future.

Sky have never had any interest in MLB or college sports and I can't see them outlaying on studio coverage for such sports seven nights a week at a time when they are cutting back on certain areas of spending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True but when they have F1 channel where the races get less than a million views I bet the rest of the time its less than ESPNA

If they have NFL, MLB and NBA I'm sure total subscription pull would be the same as, if not more of the F1 Channel pull. Add NHL at a later date even better as long as its available on its own and cheaper if you have sky sports

F1 Viewing figures source