View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 14:09
Virgil Tracy
Forum Member

For sure there is badly written, pedestrian and just plain boring dialogue that can drag a movie down.

But I am not really talking about the difference between good and bad, more about those people who just seem to switch off when there is no mayhem happening on screen and get bored, whilst crucially not even paying attention to what is actually being said.

I personally believe that well written dialogue is the main strength of Tarantino's movies, and always get irked when he is tagged with that 'violent movie maker' tag.

The actual instances of violence in his movies (Kill Bill movies aside) actually make up about 1% of the running time. Look at Reservoir Dogs...very, very little actual violence, and the famous ear cutting scene happens off camera. I always find it odd that for a film with so very little actual violence in it to have garnered Tarantino a reputation for being a violent filmaker.

And by the same token, considering that his first movie was 99% dialogue and 1% violence, I find it even stranger that a lot of Tarantino fans critiscised Inglorious Basterds for being too talky...! What exactly were they expecting from him?

However, I have to say he does not aways get it right...Death Proof did not do it for me at all...I cannot recall one single line of dialogue from that film, or indeed any memorable dialogue scenes or monologues.
well I just saw Die Hard 5 , and that is exactly what I did - whenever they were talking I just zoned out , because the dialogue was so boring .

so I really think the quality is the key .

I'd say Tarantino does overdo the 'dialogue' in that some scenes just go on way past the point , he needs to learn to edit !

I think when some filmmakers get too fond of themselves they just ramble on and on , Denis Potter was the same in his later works , too self indulgent .
Virgil Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote