View Single Post
Old 24-03-2013, 20:58
Gort
Forum Member

Just finished Black Dogs by Ian McEwan. In a way, it's a good compliment to Life of Pi, which I read just prior. The book deals with a son-in-law who is writing a memoir about the life of his mother-in-law and her estrangement from her husband, which came about due to their inability to reconcile their beliefs: one based on the spiritual, the other based on the rational. The title of the book comes from a frightening event that happened to the mother-in-law while on her honeymoon in the south of France, an event that seems to have caused or represented the split between the two newly-weds, at least in the mind of the mother-in-law; she sees this event as the beginning of her "conversion". In many ways, some readers will claim that not much is happening in this book, but I actually enjoy this character study that delves into the minds and feelings of the subjects, and at the same time brings up the debate between the empirical and the metaphysical. I really got into the characters and also the events surrounding them.

Also just finished The Odyssey by Homer. I preferred this to The Iliad, which I had read a few weeks beforehand, but both are still classics. Not sure why it has taken me so long to have picked up the books to read them. Both are fascinating reads, a bit simplistic in nature for today, but at the same time you can see why they've survived as essential reading material for well over two-thousand years. The books are full of emotion and spirit... and blood.

Just started Midnight Cowboy by James Leo Herlihy. I love this film, seen it a few times in my life, but have never read the book. Well, now I can.

Also I'm about to start reading The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins, where he puts forward the case for Evolution. I loved his book The Selfish Gene, which was quite accessible (although I have studied biology and chemistry in college when I was young, so it wasn't as if I was new to the subject), and also found a lot in his follow-up The Extended Phenotype, which filled in a lot of detail touched by in The Selfish Gene, but was a bit less accessible for the layperson (but not beyond). I suspect, however, that The Greatest Show on Earth is going to be more reader-friendly like his The Selfish Gene.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote