View Single Post
Old 25-03-2013, 13:34
sheila blige
Forum Member

I know we've got a Westerns thread already running but I saw this on the big screen yesterday (Watershed in Bristol if you're interested) and I still can't work out whether it's a masterpiece or two and a half hours of pretentiousness.

The landscapes and cinematography are beautiful, of course and the score truly amazing but are there just too many lingering close-ups and long stretches when nothing happens? The opening scene with the 3 guys waiting at the train station goes on and on, yet a key plot element when Cheyenne escapes from the train taking him to jail and he and his men shoot up Morton's train isn't shown at all.

Anyone else familiar with this film and has some thoughts to share? I know it's acknowledged as one of the great westerns and I like the western genre. Am I missing something?
I'm familiar with the film and I don't rate it that highly either. IMO its OK but no more no less (and I found it too long as well). Mind you - I've watched TGTBATU several times and I don't see what the fuss is there either. The reason I watched it several times was I had a thing for Clint Eastwood in my youth and watched every film of his at least half-a-dozen times. I watched TGTBATU more recently with a more open mind and was bored stiff! For A Few Dollars More however was a different story - excellent from start to finish.

For me though - no western is as good as The Wild Bunch - I just wish I'd had the chance to see it on the big screen.
sheila blige is offline   Reply With Quote