View Single Post
Old 25-03-2013, 15:36
Bluray
Inactive Member

I cannot agree, I think over-exposure and over-familiarity essentially cheapens and dilutes a character over time, and therefore lessens the impact of the character when you watch he movie again.

As much as I enjoyed Hopkins portrayal of the character at the time, I now find it hard to take seriously because not only have too many inferior sequels been made, but like the Freddy Kreuger character it has been parodied mercilessly by Simpsons, Family Guy, French and Saunders and endless other similar shows, and people were walking around doing their oh-so-witty 'I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti..ffffffftttttt' impression...since when do serial killers have catchphrases, for gods sake?

When something like this becomes so iconic that it is considered fair game for everyone and anyone to mimic or ridicule it, I don't see how anyone can claim they can still go back years later and state that the character still has the same impact.

The same thing happened with the Matrix movies...it introduced us to 'bullet-time' photography, which we all thought was cool and unique at the tie...until every blasted action director started using it, them came the skits and the parodies...so by the time the second and third movies came along we were heartily sick of it.
I find it very easy to shut out parodies etc when watching the original source. The line said by Hopkins isn't a catchphrase, the imitators have turned it into one. The Pffffft moment is as chilling as ever - the parodies don't have build up, don't have Jodie's reaction.

Only last night I watched Psycho - as stunning and brilliant as it always has been, yet not once did I think of all the "shower scene" parodies.
Bluray is offline   Reply With Quote