Options

Virgin Media changelog

Comments

• Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,421
    Forum Member
    and S4C channels changes being that TLC will be on Channel Number 167 and S4C will be moved elsewhere?

S4C is moving to 166
    http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35562371-post599.html
  • Options
    TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    Without a PVR it is, with a PVR it's £29.50 which I would hazard a guess most new customers would choose. It's worth noting that the VM prices require a phoneline too otherwise XL is actually more expensive than Sky Entertainment Extra+, either with or without a PVR.

Sky EE+ and a PVR is £31.50 with Sky Atlantic and over 45 HD Channels.

There's very little between them in price anymore, even less so when ESPN closes. Both are pretty good value though but i'd personally rather spend £2 more for Atlantic and many more HD channels than music videos but I guess it's horses for courses.

I suppose another consideration is if you're a premium channel customer which I think are a fair bit cheaper with Sky, sadly I rather suspect Sky Sports customers are heading for pretty big price hikes whatever platform they view on :(

Yes I'm aware of all that. You made reference to the bundled £29.50 (XL TV & TiVo) price to which I responded to, not the unbundled XL TV & TiVo price you're now referring to. To correct you I pointed out that the bundled price of XL TV is only £24.50 whether you have a TiVo or not, and therefore £7 cheaper than EE+.

If we're comparing like for like then to get any OD content with EE+ (one of its main features) you'd need a landline and BB meaning you'd be paying considerably more than the £31.50 quoted. You'd only need to add VM phone/BB to bring the price of XL TV down to £24.50, EE+ remains at £31.50 with phone and BB. Most TiVo customers choose a Collection which doesn't have a £5 fee attached to it. And those still with a V+ don't pay a PVR fee.

Personally I wouldn't consider 13 more HD channels to be many more or good value over thousands of OD music videos especially if I had access to the same content those HD channels are showing, even if in SD.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Technix wrote: »
    Yes I'm aware of all that. You made reference to the bundled £29.50 (XL TV & TiVo) price to which I responded to, not the unbundled XL TV & TiVo price you're now referring to. To correct you I pointed out that the bundled price of XL TV is only £24.50 whether you have a TiVo or not, and therefore £7 cheaper than EE+.

If we're comparing like for like then to get any OD content with EE+ (one of its main features) you'd need a landline and BB meaning you'd be paying considerably more than the £31.50 quoted. You'd only need to add VM phone/BB to bring the price of XL TV down to £24.50, EE+ remains at £31.50 with phone and BB. Most TiVo customers choose a Collection which doesn't have a £5 fee attached to it. And those still with a V+ don't pay a PVR fee.

Personally I wouldn't consider 13 more HD channels to be many more or good value over thousands of OD music videos especially if I had access to the same content those HD channels are showing, even if in SD.

That's fair comment about On Demand and indeed it's horses for courses what people like but for a couple of pounds more i'd much rather have Sky Atlantic than music videos, i'm a bit old for them personally, I know it often gets very low ratings but for me its by far the highest quality, non premium pay channel.

Music Videos and Atlantic aside if VM can get BT Sport in XL then that would be a genuine game changer for many people, in my opinion
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not sure why bt sport in xl would be a game changer, it has less premiership football than the first year of espn end of setanta which was in xl, most of the other sports were already available to xl viewers. it might stop people leaving for bt from cable rather than adsl supplied areas.

cable is sort of half way between bt and sky with regard to content, with a platform advantage of sorts only in cabled areas.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    not sure why bt sport in xl would be a game changer, it has less premiership football than the first year of espn end of setanta which was in xl, most of the other sports were already available to xl viewers. it might stop people leaving for bt from cable rather than adsl supplied areas.

cable is sort of half way between bt and sky with regard to content, with a platform advantage of sorts only in cabled areas.

Game changer in the sense that many channels have recently been added to VM but ESPN is closing which is maybe why they can afford to add them.

If the package also had BT Sport it would be a great package but most people seem to think there's little chance of that happening.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Virgin Shorts launched on channel 399
  • Options
    weetomuncherweetomuncher Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    murph wrote: »
    Virgin Shorts launched on channel 399

Just a red button redirect like the YouTube channel, actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming soon slates have been added for the remaining Zee TV channels to launch on VM.

Zee Cafe on 811
    Zing on 813

Also another HD channel should be coming soon too, NHK World HD on 625.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surprising that NHK World HD will be the first HD news channel to launch on Virgin. I would have said Sky News HD and Sky Sports News HD or the Turner owned CNN HD which launches on satellite in june. I wonder what channel 623 will be used for.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    this just gets better!

Zee Cafe for anyone interested does show live cricket. If anyone's interested in that.

NHK World is not a bad news channel at all.

Whats left then that sky has VM dont? I can't think of many....
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this just gets better!

Zee Cafe for anyone interested does show live cricket. If anyone's interested in that.

NHK World is not a bad news channel at all.

Whats left then that sky has VM dont? I can't think of many....

Sony Movies, that's the channel i'd like to see
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New channels:

TLC - 167
    TLC HD - 168
    TLC +1 - 169
    I.D. +1 - 215
    NHK World TV HD - 625 (starts tomorrow)

Channels closed:

Discovery Realtime - 271
    Realtime +1 - 272
    Travel & Living - 273
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Animal Planet HD now available on channel 217.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Military History has been rebranded as H2 on channel 236.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Discovery Home & Health has moved to channel 271.
    Discovery Home & Health +1 has moved to channel 272
    Discovery Travel & Living has been removed from channel 273.
    Discovery Shed has moved to channel 273.
  • Options
    ally8971ally8971 Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    History +1 now on channel 235
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ally8971 wrote: »
    History +1 now on channel 235
    So they have renewed their carriage agreement with A+E Networks , hopefully CI +1 , CI HD and History HD launch soon.
  • Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EPG reshuffle:

Comedy Central +1 has moved from 134 to 133
    MTV has moved from 311 to 134
    Comedy Central HD has moved from 133 to 181
    Comedy Central Extra has moved from 185 to 182
    MTV Live HD has moved from 310 to 311
    MTV Hits has moved from 317 to 312
    MTV Base has moved from 315 to 313
    MTV Rocks has moved from 325 to 315
    VH1 has moved from 320 to 316
    VIVA has moved from 313 to 317
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if Comedy Central Extra + 1, MTV HD , MTV +1 launch soon in the 180s. Also suggests they plan to launch MTV Live on 310.

Maybe they will use 308 and 309 for MTV Music & MTV Classic.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it would have made more sense to have it as

Syfy 134 - Syfy +1 135 - Syfy HD 136 rather than shifting MTV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »
    Also suggests they plan to launch MTV Live on 310.

Maybe they will use 308 and 309 for MTV Music & MTV Classic.

I'm not sure why they would want to put less popular channels higher up on the EPG. I would have thought that clearing the range up to 310 is more likely to be to reserve the space for Music OD channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    it would have made more sense to have it as

Syfy 134 - Syfy +1 135 - Syfy HD 136 rather than shifting MTV

Viacom already occupied 134, it's easier for them to shuffle their own channels around than for other programme suppliers to evict them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    EPG reshuffle:

Comedy Central +1 has moved from 134 to 133
    MTV has moved from 311 to 134
    Comedy Central HD has moved from 133 to 181
    Comedy Central Extra has moved from 185 to 182
    MTV Live HD has moved from 310 to 311
    MTV Hits has moved from 317 to 312
    MTV Base has moved from 315 to 313
    MTV Rocks has moved from 325 to 315
    VH1 has moved from 320 to 316
    VIVA has moved from 313 to 317

also..

MTV Dance has moved from 319 to 314.

Which actually was one on the first in the sequence of changes, I missed that in the copy / paste.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish we could change the order of the channels to suit ourselves.

I would put all the channels I watch the most at the front and channels such as the ones with programmes about embarrassing bodies and the guy with the wiggly worms coming out of his scalp at the back of the listings. :D
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone didn't do a good job of advertising this. Loads of "y hav virgin got rid of mtv!!!" on Twitter...