View Single Post
Old 27-04-2013, 14:54
gilliedew
Forum Member

Even if you're great at your job? Anyway, I expect that she will be arrested any day now then for doing so.

But you had already done your job and went back to college to enhance your knowledge. I'm talking about people coming straight out of university with degrees up to their necks who have never worked with people, never managed, never worked in the industry then getting top management jobs because of said degrees - without the common sense and people skills (and knowledge of how the business actually works).

As I say, the pubic sector is chock full of these people - setting and adhering to targets without any real sense of how they're going to be achieved or spending ludicrous amounts of money to save tuppence - not having any instinct for guiding people to do a better job and make the 'business' successful.... or maybe the public sector just attracts the worst graduates and the best ones (those with common sense, people skills and a sense of how things are actually achieved) go into the private sector!
Actually, it is advisable to come out of college with the knowledge and then learn on the job. There are few pre conceptions or bad practice picked up in other companies as every company works along different lines/strategies, it is helpful to be aware of them. Why do people think that a university degree means that they should be able to do the job straight away, they should be on the first rung of the management ladder and progress from there.

Sadly there has been an old boys networking in business for many a year but also as in Karen Bradys case, family connections/associates also works in that closed shop environment for employment leaps for the fortunate few, never mind the experience.

These people who do the things you describe, they have to stick to the company line, whatever their common sense tells them, they may not have the freedom to do what they wish to do after the criteria for the job has been set, there are good and bad in most jobs.

If you had been studying for three years and were offered a top job, well you would grab it, so it is the system which is faulty rather than the person who succeeds within it.

Thanks for the discussion, having been on both sides, I do understand your points of view.
gilliedew is offline   Reply With Quote