View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 06:37
The Prumeister
Forum Member

No it's not.

Sleeping pills aren't a cure, they don't get to the root, they are the last resort. And are generally used in the short term. However there are cases where all other treatments fail and they are necessary. I wasn't comparing conditions I was using extreme cases of where medication is needed to treat medical conditions. That people sometimes need medication whatever it may be without having to be labelled 'junkies'.

Sleeping pill addiction isn't all that common, misuse certainly is, because they create an immediate relief to a condition without being the cure. Therefore they become habit forming (as opposed to addictive).

There is nothing to say Jacko was a hopeless addict. Maybe he was, he was certainly irresponsible with drugs but that does not an addict make. Like his whole lifestyle in general he seem willing to pay for instant satisfaction or in this case relief. I mean most the evidence presented seemed to suggest this was someone using medication to treat the symptoms created by other psychological conditions as opposed to being addicted (or even dependent) to a drug or drugs. He didn't need the drugs, he needed the cure, just he had the money to dictate what he thought the cure was.

Yes, but again, this should only ever be for a few weeks absolute maximum. Any doctor will tell you that sleeping pills are habit forming = addictive. Nowadays, most doctors (NHS anyway), will not even prescribe them unless your sleep loss is so severe that it's become dangerous. Even then, they will be monitored carefully and not prescribed for any more than 2 weeks at any one time. They are extremely addictive drugs; this is a medical fact and not just my opinion.

Having an anaesthetic injected into you every night to assist sleep (which is what appears to have happened with Jackson) is addiction IMHO.
The Prumeister is offline   Reply With Quote