View Single Post
Old 20-07-2013, 08:45
vidalia
Forum Member

Spot on millie. And yes, I'd choose the Evening Standard and 'i' as well and I'm an ex journo.

The editorial 'standards' in the Daily Fail are utterly abysmal. Their puerile baby hacks can't be much over 20 something (their utter lack of English comprehension is a dead giveaway) possibly come very cheap and are very disposable. I suspect they are hired by the dozen - before they run screaming for the hills after a month or two because everyone hates them and they learn to hate themselves. They can't write, can't spell and don't do grammar. At all.

Anyone who writes anything along the lines of 'flashes her pins' or 'shows off her baby bump' should be banned from the media forever or until hell freezes over.
It is a buyers market for journalists and it is incredibly difficult to break into the national media. These 'baby hacks' have all probably got firsts in English and have a further journalism qualification from somewhere like Cardiff. They will work as interns for either free or expenses in the hope that they can be taken on but as you say, they are very disposable. They can write, can spell and can do grammar but that's not what Mail Online needs or wants.

Very few will go on to actually work for the printed version of the Mail and will probably end up working for one of the featured publications from the last round in Have I Got News For You, if they're lucky.
vidalia is offline   Reply With Quote