View Single Post
Old 24-07-2013, 10:43
Cadiva
Forum Member

That's one of the best posts to sum up addiction I've read.

I totally disagree. At 13 I was prescribed a heroin substitute by the family doctor. It was a long time ago, we had zero knowledge of the dangers of drugs and the Doctor was regarded as God.
They made me feel brilliant, and joy of joys I could get 60 more every month, no examinations, no medicals. I didn't realise I was addicted until my mid 20's when I ran out and within a day I couldn't talk or function properly. The withdrawal was horrific.
It took me many more years to eventually wean myself down. Fundamentally people drink or take drugs because they initially make you feel good. Prescription drugs account for more overdoses than illegal ones, but there isn't the same stigma attached, because, presumably, they were prescribed for an illness so people cut you more slack.

Then, with respect and noting that you've been around it ,your understanding of the nature of addiction is abysmal.
Great post Tally, I hope you're fully recovered now. You are quite right, prescription drugs (and alcohol for that matter) are responsible for as many deaths (and more in the case of alcohol) in the UK than drugs overdoses but they don't have the same reaction because the media peddles the image of some seedy, unwashed, lanky greasy haired addict which, in a large majority of cases, is very far from the truth.

Drugs (legal and illegal):
There were 1,772 male and 880 female drug poisoning deaths (involving both legal and illegal drugs) registered in 2011, a 6 per cent decrease since 2010 for males and a 3 per cent increase for females.
In 2011 the drug poisoning mortality rate was 63.8 deaths per million population for males and 29.9 deaths per million population for females, both were unchanged compared with 2010.
The number of male drug misuse deaths decreased by 14 per cent from 1,382 in 2010 to 1,192 in 2011; female deaths increased by 3 per cent from 402 in 2010 to 413 in 2011.
The male mortality rate from drug misuse decreased significantly between 2010 and 2011 (from 50.8 to 43.4 deaths per million population), but remained stable for females (14.4 deaths per million population in 2011).
Deaths involving heroin/morphine decreased by 25 per cent compared with 2010, but they were still the substances most commonly involved in drug poisoning deaths (596 deaths in 2011).
The highest mortality rate from drug misuse was in 30 to 39-year-olds (110.0 and 30.2 deaths per million population for males and females respectively).
Alcohol:

In 2011 there were 8,748 alcohol-related deaths in the UK, 42 fewer than in 2010 (8,790).
Males aged 30 and over are significantly more likely than females to die of alcohol-related causes. Over 66% of all alcohol-related deaths in the UK in 2011 were among males.
Age-specific alcohol-related death rates were highest for those aged 55 to 59 and lowest for those less than 30.
Alcohol-related death rates varied between English regions and tended to be highest in the North and lowest in the East of England over the last ten years.
Female alcohol-related death rates were higher in Wales than in England, in 2011.
Between 2007 and 2010 male alcohol-related death rates were significantly higher in Wales than in England. A three year decline in male death rates in Wales means this difference is no longer significant.
Cadiva is offline   Reply With Quote