View Single Post
Old 24-07-2013, 10:55
katmobile
Forum Member

Great post Tally, I hope you're fully recovered now. You are quite right, prescription drugs (and alcohol for that matter) are responsible for as many deaths (and more in the case of alcohol) in the UK than drugs overdoses but they don't have the same reaction because the media peddles the image of some seedy, unwashed, lanky greasy haired addict which, in a large majority of cases, is very far from the truth.

Drugs (legal and illegal):

Alcohol:
Playing devil's advocate you could argue that's because of the ready availability of alcohol and there is the alcoholic cliche of the unkempt homeless old guy when I think a problem that is being mentioned is bored housewives having a glass of wine a day is as much a reality of alcholism is that. That said I don't think other drugs should be made more widely available but there is an argument for de-criminalisation (i.e their illegality makes them more dangerous and unpleasant for the addicts to take increases their social disfunctionality and puts money into the pockets of some very unpleasant people plus causes exploitation of poorer people in other parts of the world).
katmobile is offline   Reply With Quote