View Single Post
Old 14-11-2013, 20:24
AOTB
Forum Member

What? I said that those who I accused of saying women are jealous (namely yourself) had sufficiently managed to convince me that this is not what they were saying. Then you asked me, why do I think people still have that perception? I answered misogyny etc. Then you answered the quote above, which is tantamount to admitting that you are one of those people of whom you asked me, why do they still have that perception. Just admit it, you think women are jealous.
BIB- a rather disappointing reply. I've already stated I categorically do NOT think all women are jealous if they criticise another woman. Several times. I'd have no qualms about admitting it if I did believe it, but I don't so I can't..
You actually said you are a man or wrote in a way that clearly implies you're male.
BINGO! We are in agreement then that you often CAN tell the gender of a poster. In this example, yes I actually stated it. I'm pretty sure others could still have guessed if I hadn't.
Not at all. No one denies that you can often make a guess at a poster's gender based on the what they write. Not the point. You could be subconsciously assuming someone is female simply because they're criticising a "certain type" of woman (very likely), and/or only noticing when female posters do criticise, while not noticing the male critics, because it confirms your already formed opinion (even more likely).
Assumption masquerading as fact here I'm afraid. I can assure you that I'm not making baseless assumptions, subconsciously or not. You don't just need a poster to actually post and tell you that they are a man or a woman, to be able to work it out. Not just gender either. Pretty sure you haven't mentioned anything else personal about yourself, so if what you say is true, how could I possibly know you're also an Aquarius, unless I'm some kind of wizard?
In addition to people only noticing gender biases that confirm stereotypes they buy into, there is no way of telling how accurate gender guesses are, and no way of quantifying how many female posters as opposed to male are critical of these "certain types" of celeb women. Therefore, it's a wholly unproven and unsupported - ie baseless - assumption of yours.
I already said I don't have the stats (and I'm certainly not going to trawl through every thread in DS Showbiz to count(!), it's just my observation. You can only take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure I'd know most of the gender of posters in this thread, without them having posted it.
I explicitly stated that I am a female when I first joined this discussion.
I genuinely didn't remember that, but even if I had, the point remains the same- more often than not you can tell.

Again let's test the theory, I would say Lexi, Molly, Prumeister for example are all female. DavetheScott and Jason Watkins are male. What score do I get?

If what you say is true, how could I possibly know this (assuming they haven't actually stated their gender in this thread)?
AOTB is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote