Options

Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread, Week #51 - The last one for 2013

Comments

• Options
    omar comerfordomar comerford Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this comes up again and again, but I think Sky is really missing a trick when it comes to focusing on their customers in Ireland.

There are now so many free to air channels that are not listed at all on the Sky EPG in Ireland (including 8 HD channels). These are completely free to air on either satellite or terrestrial, and most are also all available on your biggest pay TV competitor in Ireland – UPC cable television. Many people now know that we can cancel Sky and get most of these channels (plus many, many others) completely free without any subscription whatsoever.

Below are the channels that are NOT available on the Sky platform for Irish customers as of today. I know it’s ultimately up to the broadcaster, but Sky already have agreements in place and a relationship with all the broadcasters listed – so there’s no harm in having some dialogue and negation on behalf of your Irish customers. I know that the channels on be added through the other channels but it would be nice in 2014 to have them on the IRISH SKY EPG.

Irish channels:
    RTE One HD (available on UPC & Saorview)
    RTE One +1 (available on UPC & Saorview)
    RTE News Now (available on UPC & Saorview)
    TG4 HD available on UPC)

Channel 4 channels:
    Channel 4 HD (available on Freesat)
    4seven (available on Freesat)

BBC channels:
    BBC 3HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    BBC 4HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    BBC News HD (available on Freesat)
    CBeebies HD (available on Freesat)
    CBBC HD (available on Freesat)

ITV/UTV channels:
    UTV HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    ITV 2HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    ITV 3HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    ITV 4HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Merry Christmas Jimbo and a Happy Hogmanay to Radio Ruderham , the previous maestro of this thread.

Many Thanks and as they say "Lang may yer lum reek" ;)
  • Options
    paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy Christmas everyone!
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITV/UTV channels:
    ITV 2HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    ITV 3HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    ITV 4HD (available on UPC & Freesat)[/B]

ITV 2 HD, ITV 3 HD and ITV 4 HD are not on Freesat, they are pay channels.
  • Options
    mackersdublinmackersdublin Posts: 1,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this comes up again and again, but I think Sky is really missing a trick when it comes to focusing on their customers in Ireland.

There are now so many free to air channels that are not listed at all on the Sky EPG in Ireland (including 8 HD channels). These are completely free to air on either satellite or terrestrial, and most are also all available on your biggest pay TV competitor in Ireland – UPC cable television. Many people now know that we can cancel Sky and get most of these channels (plus many, many others) completely free without any subscription whatsoever.

Below are the channels that are NOT available on the Sky platform for Irish customers as of today. I know it’s ultimately up to the broadcaster, but Sky already have agreements in place and a relationship with all the broadcasters listed – so there’s no harm in having some dialogue and negation on behalf of your Irish customers. I know that the channels on be added through the other channels but it would be nice in 2014 to have them on the IRISH SKY EPG.

Irish channels:
    RTE One HD (available on UPC & Saorview)
    RTE One +1 (available on UPC & Saorview)
    RTE News Now (available on UPC & Saorview)
    TG4 HD (available on UPC)

Channel 4 channels:
    Channel 4 HD (available on Freesat)
    4seven (available on Freesat)

BBC channels:
    BBC Three HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    BBC Four HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    BBC News HD (available on Freesat)
    CBeebies HD (available on Freesat)
    CBBC HD (available on Freesat)

ITV/UTV channels:
    UTV HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    ITV2 HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    ITV3 HD (available on UPC & Freesat)
    ITV4 HD (available on UPC & Freesat)

BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD are not available on UPC

ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD, ITV4 HD are not available on UPC or Freesat
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'MTV XMAS' has reverted to 'MTV CLASSIC' on 355.
  • Options
    obrienmichael05obrienmichael05 Posts: 3,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was quick.
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,606
    Forum Member

Presume the EPG name is still MTV XMAS?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    Presume the EPG name is still MTV XMAS?

No, they've changed the EPG label too. It must be an exception to the EPG freeze.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, they've changed the EPG label too. It must be an exception to the EPG freeze.

Wonder if they'll change Now Christmas back tomorrow? I thought the platform freeze was always very rigid, certainly in previous years it was - obviously not any longer.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,948
    Forum Member
    Surely just changing the name of an existing channel is pretty inconsequential.
    It's not like launching a new channel or moving channels between EPG numbers.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Surely just changing the name of an existing channel is pretty inconsequential.
    It's not like launching a new channel or moving channels between EPG numbers.
    :)

No, that's true but under ITIL Change Management processes, which a lot of tech businesses like to adhere to, a change freeze means absolutely no platform changes apart from up on operational reactive fault conditions

Most organisations have a soft freeze from mid Dec until a few days before Christmas and then a hard lockdown up until the first full week of January, just surprised given previous years, when closed channels would remain on the EPG etc, that there's been a softening of rigidity in relation to this from Sky's Integration team.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update

11.222 H, 27.500, 2/3.

'Now Christmas' has been relabelled back to 'Now Music', Sky EPG also updated, (noticed this change yesterday).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NEW

11.097 V 23.000 8PSK 2/3
    11.068 V 23.000 8PSK 2/3

Both carrying no services as of yet but carriers up with 1FFF nullpackets.

In fairness these have been up since the 16th/17th Dec but was only alerted to the fact they had been illuminated from another forum post. Both are UK spot beam and, obviously, for HD services.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Updates

11.261 H, 27.500, 2/3.

"52170" (For Gem TV)....No longer carrying EPG now/next data (noticed this some days ago).

11.307 H, 27.500, 2/3.

"52240" (Showing Studio 66 TV)....Now carrying EPG now/next data.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NEW

11.097 V 23.000 8PSK 2/3
    11.068 V 23.000 8PSK 2/3

In fairness these have been up since the 16th/17th Dec but was only alerted to the fact they had been illuminated from another forum post. Both are UK spot beam and, obviously, for HD services.

If these are 8PSK then it is more likely these are for public service television services.

All HD muxes that Sky are responsible for themselves are QPSK EXCEPT 10.936 V which has some non-PSB services on and is 8PSK but not exclusively PSB.

All muxes that have no PSB and are HD are QPSK but all PSB ones are 8PSK - if you see what I mean - hence my theory.

These two muxes have not been in use before it would appear.

Will be interesting to see what goes on these muxes.
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    If these are 8PSK then it is more likely these are for public service television services.

All HD muxes that Sky are responsible for themselves are QPSK EXCEPT 10.936 V which has some non-PSB services on and is 8PSK but not exclusively PSB.

All muxes that have no PSB and are HD are QPSK but all PSB ones are 8PSK - if you see what I mean - hence my theory.

These two muxes have not been in use before it would appear.

Will be interesting to see what goes on these muxes.

When are the extra BBC 1 & 2 HD regions supposed to start?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timo_w2s wrote: »
    When are the extra BBC 1 & 2 HD regions supposed to start?

Don't know. Nobody knows yet it has not been announced.

For the Winter Olympics by the way, it has been announced that 6 online streams will be available showing everything - and it would appear that this may be all that is needed

To remind you, the article is here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/winter_olympics_2014.html

The table of events in full is listed here in a grid

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/games/sport/olympic-games/schedule/

Given that it would appear that no more than 6 events are taking place at any one time - though I have not examined it properly yet, this would be all that is required.

However, the article from the BBC says that Red Button coverage is still TBC. IF, and only IF all 6 go on satellite, which they mey do as they are temporaries and not everyone has access to connected TVs or the Internet, if 6 channels are required, for HD in the current setup, 2 muxes will be required for this and the SD ones can be put in where space allows.

If they are temporaries, it may be a red herring, but it would make sense that if the BBC have acquired two new muxes, these may be used for BBC2 nations in HD later in 2014 and the start of BBC1 regions. I have no proof, but a pure guess but it would certainly make sense.

As for the Winter Olympics, if you take a look at the table and establish the timings of the events, can you see more than 6 clashes at a time that would warrant a 7th stream?

Keep an eye on them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE

11.307 H

52240 will be "Play TV 2"

This is still Studio 66 TV under an assumed name, but that is what it will be known as on the EPG.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can new channels be added again from tomorrow/2nd on the sky platform after the Christmas break? ... I would assume RTÉ One HD will be added sooner rather then later as across the channel "on RTÉ One & RTÉ One HD" is being used to advertise shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Can new channels be added again from tomorrow/2nd on the sky platform after the Christmas break? ... I would assume RTÉ One HD will be added sooner rather then later as across the channel "on RTÉ One & RTÉ One HD" is being used to advertise shows.

The platform freeze ends 0600 on the 6th for Sky and most platform operators. Apart from the odd label change, which seems to be excused, don't expect to see any Multiplex reconfigurations to add or remove services or major EPG changes until Monday morning onwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NEW

11.097 V 23.000 8PSK 2/3
    11.068 V 23.000 8PSK 2/3

I forgot to ask yesterday when posting this, could someone check what TSID is currently assigned, if any, to both of these (2064 and 2066) and whether TP64 - 11068H has yet been added to the NIT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot to ask yesterday when posting this, could someone check what TSID is currently assigned, if any, to both of these (2064 and 2066) and whether TP64 - 11068H has yet been added to the NIT.

You mean 11.068 V
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can confirm that 11.068 V is now added to the NIT but shows as DVB-S, not DVB-S2 - the same as for 11.097 V. This must be incorrect as it has to be DVB-S2 if it is 8PSK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jimbo wrote: »
    I can confirm that 11.068 V is now added to the NIT but shows as DVB-S, not DVB-S2 - the same as for 11.097 V. This must be incorrect as it has to be DVB-S2 if it is 8PSK.

Cheers Jimbo, thanks for the correction on the polarisation too, slip of the phone keyboard!

Got your PM too, will reply fully tomorrow night as off out shortly for NYE.

Have a good one and all the best to you and all the regular contributors.
This discussion has been closed.