View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 21:38
unique
Forum Member

Indie was used to describe the sound of certain guitar/piano-based acts, whether you agree with it or not, be it rock or pop. As another poster said, the term alternative was prevalent too.
indie may have been used to describe certain types of music, but wrongly. indie was short for independent, and didn't describe a type of music at all. all sorts of music were indie

I know the term Indie was coined for artists on independent record labels, but the term is now widely accepted to relate to a sound (although there are so many sub genre's of Indie that's kind of irrelevant now as well.) And yes I know there are still many indie labels around today, but it feels wrong to dismiss an album because it was released on a major label

Also there are many independent record labels around today which produce only dance music, so again the term indie has pretty much lost it's original meaning.

Anyway

Drugstore - Drugstore
The La's - The La's

Both Go! Discs, which I believe was an indie label before being bought by Polydor in the mid 90's

Not indie record labels

Eels - Electroshock Blues (Dreamworks)
Fountains of Wayne - Fountains Of Wayne (Atlantic)
why would it feel wrong to dismiss an album from being considered an indie album if it wasn't an indie album because it was on a major label? what difference does it make?

you may as well ask what's the best rock album and let people pick albums by herbie hancock and kylie. it just defeats the whole purpose of asking such a question. albums like ok computer and a different class were on major labels so benefitted from a specific type of distribution and promotion that most true indie records didn't have. a good chunk of records mentioned are really britpop records on major labels, not indie
unique is offline   Reply With Quote