View Single Post
Old 23-01-2014, 20:22
noise747
Forum Member

I would point out that anyone who shares the 'fear' of being tied to Amazon that you aren't really any more tied than using a Kobo or most other ereaders. Using calibre you can make ePub bookks work on the Kindle then you just sideload them like you do any book not bought from the devices prefered store so its only really the library lending you lose out on.

If you aren't wanting to have to sideload then You are also more likely to pay more to stay away from Amaazon as most of the time their books are at worst the same price but often cheaper so depending on how many books you will be buying the cheaper hardware prices may be misleading if you plan to stay in the devices Eco system
I know calibre can convert epub to AZW/KF8 for kindle, but it is just another step that I don't want to do. Being locked into the amazon system was not the only reason to go for the kobo. i go for the underdogs, the smaller companies if I can, that is why I always have AMD based computers, ok i know AMD is not small by any means, but Intel is massive compared to them. The same with Kobo, how many people have heard of Kobo?
I take my e-reader to work to read at lunch and break times and people say oh a kindle, and when I say no a Kobo, I get back what is that then?
Another lad gets the same thing about his Nook and we sell the things at work.

Another reason I got the Kobo or my original one, was because I thought it was better than the Kindle at the time, having seen and used a kindle and found I could not get on with the buttons on the side.

As for books, I can get what I want at the price I want to pay, loads of free books from different sites. I don't just get free books mind you.

I tend to avoid amazon these days if I can, I buy from them if I can't find what I want elsewhere for a decent price. i used to buy a lot of CD's from amazon, but now I go elsewhere.
noise747 is online now   Reply With Quote