View Single Post
Old 24-01-2014, 12:46
wakey
Forum Member

The likely hood of kobo shutting down is pretty slim as well. there are larger companies than Amazon that have gone under and if they annoy customers too much by changing things people will go elsewhere.

Epub is not KOBO format, it is a format by Adobe and is pretty well accepted, so DRM is not going tobe a issue even if Kobo did fail.
This is where you are wrong. It doesn't matter who developed the container when it comes to DRM. What matters is the licence validation server. Infact Adobe while they have DRM provisions in the format leave it open for the retailer to select their own DRM format so DRM is all down to the retailer. If Kobo shut theirs off tomorrow then you couldn't validate your licence and you are done for.

Its why there were problems in the early days of digital music when services were shutting down left right and centre as most choose to use WMA. This is a Microsoft format but when the services shut down it didn't matter. As soon as your licence expired and it had to renew it it couldn't access the licence validation server as it wasnt there and you were locked out.

Its also why when the the Vdio, video spinoff of Rdio announced it was closing in December they gave everyone who had purchased content Amazon vouchers so they could rebuy their content.

Amazon uses their own system and as poplar as Kindle is, a lot of other stores just don't offer ebooks in the kindle format

Waterstones, their e-books is in Epub format
Sainsburys ebooks are in Epub format.

No doubt there are others, but I have not really looked into it.

sites that offer free books and just because they are free, don't mean they are rubbish, most of them are in epub.
Yes most services use ePub but i'm not sure why that matters?

And who said Free books are rubbish? Most however are either amateur writers or are out of copyright and most of these kinds are also available in Kindle format, infact more often than not from Amazon themselves which isn't always the case with some of the default stores.

But I am buying from the default store, not sure where you got the idea from I am not.
Part of your point in your first post is you didn't want tied into Amazon's eco system so you choose a Kobo. Seeing as you were implying not being tied to a single eco system is a good thing then the fact that it takes pretty much the same effort to buy a book off say Sainsburys and put it on a Kindle or a Kobo ultimately defeats the myth about being tied into an eco system. If you can sideload books from other stores then you can open calibre and add it to your kindle with it converting it for you.

You are simply no more tied into an eco system with a Kindle than you are any other ereader.

I have grabbed some free books from other sources, but I normally stick them onto a SD card, try doing that with a kindle. sure there is more than enough space on the device itself, but the SD card slot is still useful,, i can stick a bus time table on there when I go visiting. i have not done it with the touch, but I done it with the old kobo.
May not have a SD Card reader (Might not be an issue with eBooks as they arent that big and doesn't require frequent read/writes but the whole 'no SD card' issue on phones and tablets is a red herring anyway as the read speed on an SD card doesn't really make it viable for anything but archiving items you don't access often) but you can email books, pdfs, text documents and the likes to your kindle email address and they show up within seconds

Infact I haven't tried it but the service does convert some file types to Amazon format so it may even convert ePubs for you.

But certainly it would take 30 seconds to put a bus timetable on a kindle.

As for AMD processors, they do what I want to do and more, I prefer AMD and have done more or less since I came into the wolrd fo the PC from my amaiga, apart from the first PC, which was a cyrix. apart from my laptop I have never had a Intel machine and I am not starting now. If you think AMD chips are underpowered, then think again, they certainly are not.
AMD chips have always been underpowered compared to Intel's. They just gave you more bang for your buck and like you I used to always choose AMD but since Intel launched the i Series they just haven't been able to keep up. They seem to be too focused on the Graphics Card side since buying ATI. So while their Graphic card benchmarks regularly beat nVidea's equivalent of the card and usually at a lower price you simply don't see that with the CPU's. The price difference simply hasn't been enough to justify AMD for a while now

I do think Amazon have got too big and like google they are trying to get their feet into everything and trying to link it all together. look at Lovefilm, at the moment I am still using it for a couple of disks a month, everytime I log into the site they want me to link it with my Amazon account. Something I don't want to do, after all I joined Lovefilm as lovefilm, not Amazon. Ok that is not 100% true, I joined lovefilm as Sainsburys DVD rental, but Sainsburys dumped it and Lovefilm took over my account, because it was run by lovefims anyway
I don't think its anywhere near as bad as Google. Google have moved into areas that there's no reason for them to. Amazon have moved into areas that extend their current business (or in the case of their 'hosting' services like S3, Glacier etc simply uses the spare server capacity they have). They want people to move their lovefilm logins because its easier to maintain a single login system than two separate ones. Also I would imagine they are getting ready for when they will close Lovefilm as Physical rentals are falling to bring Amazon.co.uk inline with Amazon.com by moving to a streaming only service that comes as part of your Amazon prime membership

but that is not the reason I did not get the Kindle, i just did not think it was the right reader for me and i did not want to be stuck with a non-standard format that only one company supports.

It is like the days when digital audio players had their own system, until MP3 became the norm, apart from Apple which still uses their own format.
Digital Audio Players have supported MP3 since day 1. Infact the first ones such as the Diamond Rio or JazPiper (Which I still have somewhere) only played MP3's. And when DRM came in pretty much all the none Apple devices were using WMA

Apples format succeeded where WMA failed because the world and his wife weren't using it. It was a format for a company that had a good userbase already for other products and that got in there first with desirable hardware and a store to sell content. Everyone responded with either hardware that missed the mark or with a content store that wasn't as good and as they were all sharing the same file format when one product failed and people lost their purchases it damaged them all. It was only because Apple started negotiating deals to drop DRM on its format which led to Amazon being able to do deals to sell MP3's (which can't be DRM'd) that saved the non-apple digital audio market

And Amazon with ebooks are in the Apple position. Only difference is I could maybe see Amazon at some point licencing their format to other select partners. I fully expect DRM'd ePub to fail at some point when it takes too many knocks. It may just be that everyone moves to DRM Free ePubs but with the size of eBook files i'm sure the publishing industry will be even harder to persuade than the record companies

I don't buy new books to be honest, books I buy are normally a few years old and I only buy when they come down in price.

The difference in pricing is pretty minimal and no doubt I could go on both sites and find some books cheaper on Kobo than Amazon. I have no idea why you seem intent on making out that the Kindle is the better reader and you seem to not like people having other readers.
Not really. Those 3 books alone are 2-3. Its all well and good only paying 30 for a device but read a book a month and you have spent between 24 and 36 extra on books. So for anyone trying to make their mind up thats a major issue to consider, if you are likely to buy a fair few books. And I can't find any evidence that there is any book on Kobos store thats cheaper. Going through their top20 selling books (which is a mixture of old and new, established authors and new self published ones) there wasn't a single one. Theres some that are the same price but from Amazon those 20 books cost 19.03 less so it really is a vital factor in people deciding.

I have no idea why you seem intent on making out that the Kindle is the better reader and you seem to not like people having other readers.
And I haven't been arguing that the Kindle is a better piece of hardware. I have barely commented on the Hardware and even said the Kobo is a good bit of kit. I've been commenting on your attempt (and others) to push this myth that by buying a Kindle you are locked into their eco system when you are no more locked into it than you are locked into any other ereaders eco system.
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote